:: C h a p t e r F o u r ::

M O R G A N

M O R G A N

I ran after Poppy, screaming her name. Behind me, India and Rupert followed, bellowing Poppy's name too. Ahead I could hear her crying.

"Poppy, stop!" I yelled after her.

She threw me a backward glance, and I saw the black river of tears and makeup running down her face.

"I loved him so much, but he'll never love me because I'm a fucking Button!" she cried.

"Oh, honey," I sighed.

I wanted to hug her and tell her there was nothing wrong with her. I wanted to explain to her that this was Eli's loss, and she would move on to much better things and kinder people. But Poppy wouldn't stop for me. Right now, Poppy was having a full meltdown.

She ran through the snow to the edge of the village. She kicked off her shoes and tore off her cloak, so she was standing in nothing but a thin pink mini-dress.

"Poppy, stop this nonsense! You'll freeze to death!" I yell at her.

"If I can't have Eli, then I shall run mad in the forest until wild animals or Satanists kill me," she replies.

"Stop being dramatic," I snap.

"It's easy for you to say. Eli practically got down on one knee in front of the whole village for you! Why didn't you accept his offer? He clearly loves you more than me," she cried.

"I don't love Eli. In fact, I don't even like him," I reply.

"Go back to the village, Morgan. Join the other girls around the Craving Stone. Then, the wisps will have no trouble mating you and Eli together," she said.

"That's not true," I counter softly.

"Of course, it's true. You're not a real Button. You are just some random bitch we picked up in a field," she screams.

I stare at her open-mouthed. My fists tighten into tight balls, and I bite down on my tongue. A small, calm voice in my head reminds me she's just a kid and doesn't know what she is saying. I have to be the adult. I need to keep calm.

"Poppy, put your shoes on and let's go home," I say calmly.

"I'd rather die," she spits and turns on her heel to run into the forest.

I scream after her in a mixture of rage and fear.

I wanted to kill her for being so fucking rude to me, but at the same time, I didn't want her galavanting about the woods in subzero temperatures. I seriously doubted that Satanists or wild animals would kill her, but there was a decent chance that hypothermia would.

I waited for India and Rupert to catch up. They weren't far behind us and probably caught enough of the conversation to understand what had just happened.