::C h a p t e r F i f t e e n::

M O R G A N

M O R G A N

The woman flew at me, arms outstretched, fingers clawed, furiously thrashing the air in front of me. Erik grabbed her shoulders and drove her back from me, pleading for her to calm down. I staggered away from them, turning my back on them both. I planned to run back to the pub and get help. These people were beyond help. They were completely mad.

I took a step forward and ran into a solid wall of flesh. I gasped as a pair of hands roughly grabbed me by the shoulders. A strange man glared back at me, a dark look of hatred flickering across his eyes.

"I've got the little bitch, Ranni," the man called out, gripping my shoulders.

"Kill her, Byron! Avenge our fallen brothers and sisters in war," Ranni yelled as she struggled against Erik.

"It would be my delight and honour," Byron replied, reaching into a jacket pocket and pulling out a knife.

Panic hit me hard in the gut, and I screamed Erik's name. He tossed Ranni to the ground and turned to see Byron raising the knife to my throat. His eyes changed colour, switching from a pale blue-grey to furious bright red. I'd never seen a dragon change its eye colour before. It only happened on rare occasions when a dragon was close to entering a state called rage. Rage turned a dragon into an overprotective killing machine that would eradicate any threat made to them or their mate.

"Drop the knife, now," Erik growled menacingly.

Byron shifted nervously and said, "Have you gone mad? She is the fox!"

"Give her to me, now," Erik demanded.

Byron hesitated and released me. Erik grabbed my wrist and pulled me against his chest. He wrapped an arm tightly around me and carefully backed away from his friends. I followed him silently. I had to be careful. I was in the arms of a dragon on the brink of rage.

I gently placed the flats of my palms against the contours of his chest and felt his heart thundering beneath my fingertips. I had to find a way to calm him down.

"Thank you for saving me," I muttered softly into his chest.

He doesn't reply with words. Instead, he traces little circles with his fingers along the curvature of my spine. I don't know if he is trying to reassure me or himself.

A moment passes, and I feel the muscles beneath my fingertips start to relax. Finally, the rage leaves Erik's eyes, and when it does, he steps away from me and faces his friends.

"If you want to live, please do not threaten my mate," Erik explains calmly.

Both Ranni and Byron react by exchanging incredulous glances with one another. Byron shakes his head while Ranni's eyes narrow on us.

"Have you lost your mind? She is a murderer! She is a fox!" she snaps at Erik.

Erik raises a placating hand and says, "Both of you swore an oath to serve your King and his family. You promised to protect and obey your King."