:: C h a p t e r T w e n t y E i g h t ::

M O R G A N

M O R G A N

The soft sound of a wood cracklingly fire draws me out of a deep, dreamless slumber. I move my hand and feel the empty space next to me. Where was Erik? Opening my eyes, I realise that I'm not lying in my bed. Instead, I'm lying in a huge four-poster bed that I have never seen in my life.

The room was clean and well-furnished. Large tapestries covered the wall, dimly illuminated by the soft flames of the fire.

It was eerily medieval, and I couldn't remember how I'd got here for the life of me.

I pushed back the heavy crimson blanket and sat up in bed, propping myself against the soft goose-feathered satin pillows.

My jeans, sweater, and walking boots were gone. Someone had undressed me and swapped my clothes with a ridiculously frilly white linen nightdress.

I grimaced at the lace and ribbons and glanced about the room for my clothes. There was nowhere to be seen. I pressed my fingers to my temples and tried remembering what had happened.

Hazy memories of Erik filled my head. I'd kissed him goodbye as he slept, then snuck downstairs to meet Poppy.

Poppy was waiting for me in the bar, and we had left the pub together. I couldn't remember what happened next. There was a blank space in my memory.

How did I get here, and more importantly, where was Poppy?

I slipped out of bed and winced at the coldness of the room. Despite the fire, the room was freezing cold. I crept across the room to the door and touched the cold brass door handle. I turned the handle slowly and pushed the door open a crack. The light from my room spilt out into a dark, windowless hall.

I tiptoed out into the empty hall and whispered, "Poppy?"

The whisper echoed down the hall into the nothingness.

"Erik?" I called out.

I don't know why I called out his name. I knew he wasn't here.

I took a few cautious steps into the hall, and a voice called out, "My lady, I see you are awake."

I turned around to see who was speaking, but I couldn't make out anyone in the dark.

"Where's Poppy?" I called out.

"Your companion is dining downstairs. Would you like to join her?" The male voice asked.

"Yes, I would like to see you here," I replied.

A candlelight appeared at the end of the hall, held by a tall blonde man with dark reddy brown eyes. He was tall and lean, with a wolfish expression on his face.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"The Lord of this castle," he replied. "But you can call me Henry."

I stared at Henry, wondering who he was. I thought about asking questions but realised that I didn't want to risk upsetting my host in case he should stop me from seeing Poppy.