::C h a p t e r E i g h t::

M O R G A N

M O R G A N

I sat by the window and waited for his reply. My phone lay on the window sill, reflecting the falling snow on its dark screen. Every so often, I would give the phone a poke, just in case I had missed a notification.

Would he reply back to me? Or would he vanish from my life completely, never to be seen again? I wriggled my bandaged foot and wished I was able to walk on it. If I could walk, then I would go to the woods and try to find him, even if it was just to thank him for his kindness. It was strange how he called himself my enemy whilst showing nothing but compassion to me.

Perhaps, that was his way. He might have a strange sense of humour.

There was a soft knock on my bedroom door, and India came in with a tray. She gave me a smile and said, "I brought you tomato soup and cheese toastie."

"Thank you. Please put it on the dresser, and I will have it a bit later," I replied.

I didn't have any appetite.

"Are you okay? You've been staring out the window all morning," India asked suspiciously.

"I'm fine. I'm just not hungry right now."

India studied me for a few seconds and nodded slowly. She turned and placed the tray of food on the dresser, and disappeared back downstairs.

I continued to stare at my phone, subconsciously willing him to reply back to me. My stomach was in knots with anticipation.

Outside, the sky was heavy and grey with snow. I'd heard on the TV that snow was expected to continue falling for the next three days. During this time, the temperature would not rise above freezing.

I gazed out over the snowy roofs of the village towards the distant forest-covered hills. Was he still out there in the woods? Cold and hungry? I hoped not.

I wondered what he had been doing out in the woods that night. He wasn't a local, which meant he could only be one of three things. A poacher, a traveller, or a satanist.

None of the above would be tolerated by the village. So why had the wisps paired us together?

Suddenly, there was a terrible crashing sound of plates and dishes, followed by a stifled cry. I limped out of my room and hopped down the stairs to see Poppy on the floor, surrounded by broken plates and glasses. She was on her knees, vomiting, as Charlie stood in the kitchen doorway looking pale and solemn.

"What's wrong?" I asked, rushing to Poppy's side.

Charlie shook his head grimly and said, "I've just received a message from Rupert. Eli has been found. It looks like there was some kind of accident, and he drowned."

I rested my hand numbly on Poppy's back. That was impossible. Eli couldn't be dead. I'd only seen him last night when he...

I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to remember what had almost happened. I looked up at Charlie and asked, "Are you sure he's dead?"