::C h a p t e r S i x t e e n::

E R I K

E R I K

A large black raven hopped onto the snow-covered bench outside the pub and peered through the pub's window. I should have known it was only a matter of time before the ravens found a way into this world.

They were messengers sent to look for Morgan on behalf of the Mad Prince and his bride. I gently drummed my fingers against the table top and wondered how to deal with this sudden and unexpected nuisance.

The ravens had to go. I couldn't risk Morgan reconnecting with the Mad Prince's bride and remembering her allegiance to the raven girl. Morgan needed to be fully committed to the dragons and, of course, her mate.

I would have to keep her close and complete our bond. I needed to make sure she was completely mine in body and soul. There could be no danger of her ever straying from me.

I clenched my fists shut, thinking about how to fulfil our bond. Vivid images of Morgan flooded my mind. I imagined running my hands through her soft red hair and feeling the warm caress of her soft mouth against my skin,

I suppressed a groan in my throat, which prompted Byron to ask, "Are you okay, boss?"

I glanced across to Byron, sitting next to me. He had supposedly come with me to help with the village meet and greet but seemed more interested in ordering the pub food.

"I'm fine," I waved a dismissive hand.

Byron twirled a fork in his hand and said, "You had a funny look on your face like you were in pain."

"Shut up, and eat your food," I snapped, irritable.

Byron smiled happily down at the massive plate of pie and mashed potato one of the young girls had brought him.

I scanned the bar for Morgan and found her behind the bar, pulling a pint while laughing with a customer. She had a lovely smile. I could look at her smile all day long.

"Boss, you're pulling that face again," Byron said through a mouthful of mashed potato.

"Stop looking at me. Go face the wall or something," I snapped.

Byron followed my gaze to Morgan and shook his head. "I hope you are right about her."

"The wisps chose her for a reason. They are clever and wise," I said, admiring how everyone in the bar smiled and greeted my mate. "She will make an excellent Queen."

"Are you sure she will be happy sitting in a stone castle playing queen," Bryon asked. "She is from the Wilds."

I wondered how long it would take Byron to bring that up. The Wilds were the land to the north of the mountains, where there were no cities, villages or towns. No one north of the mountains ever ventured into the Wilds. It was a place of danger that I had been warned about as a young dragon. Strange forgotten creatures lurked in the Wilds, creatures who did not like to sleep with a roof over their head.