:: C h a p t e r T w e n t y S i x::

*Readers beware! Spicy chapter yonder!*

E R I K

I hopped about the bedroom struggling to put my damn jeans on. Morgan wasn't rational when it came to her adoptive family. Poppy was turning into a monster, and Morgan was in denial of reality. I picked up my phone and called Ranni.

"Come to the pub and bring your blade," I said when Ranni picked up.

"I don't think stabbing will be enough to kill a zombie," Ranni replied.

"Then bring an axe to cut off her fucking head," I snapped.

"Have you discussed this with Morgan?" Ranni queried.

I hesitated, then sighed, "No."

There was silence on the other end of the phone. I turned on my heel to face the window and spotted dozens of Polaroid pictures stuck to Morgan's wall. Each photo contained a picture of Morgan with India, Poppy, or Charlie.

My heart sank in my chest.

"Shit," I breathed, dragging my fingers through my hair. "She'd never forgive me."

"I'm certain she would burn our spirits to ash before we could touch a hair on Poppy's head," Ranni said.

I looked back at the photos and saw a picture of Morgan and Poppy beaming at the camera as they ate a tub of ice cream.

"What are we going do?" I asked.

A few seconds passed, and Ranni replied, "We must separate Morgan from her family."

"I can't exactly hog-tie her and throw her over my shoulder," I replied.

"I'm not suggesting that we kidnap her," Ranni sighed. "I'm suggesting that we tell the village that they are harbouring a fox. No one, not even her family, will want her once they know her real identity."

"I don't know. That seems kind of low," I replied uneasily.

"It will break her heart. But she'll be forced to rely on you, her mate," Ranni countered.

"This isn't plan, Ranni. It's a betrayal. The wisps gave me a mate to protect. I can't take away her family," I replied.

"Fine. I'll grab an axe, and we'll chop off the head of your beloved mate's sister. I imagine if Morgan doesn't kill us, she will never speak to you again," Ranni said.

My hand floated to the spot over my chest where the wisp had joined my heart to hers. I rubbed at the spot, feeling a painful ache of sorrow growing in my heart.

"I can't betray my mate," I replied. "Besides, your plan would never work. The villagers never believed us when I declared myself King, so why would they believe us about Morgan being the fox?"