:: C h a p t e r - 3 2 ::

M O R G A N

Poppy screams echoed through the portal. I surfaced in the kitchen of the Devil's House to see Byron and Ranni dragging Poppy into the hallway. Blue flames erupted from my hands, and I charged forward, yelling, "Get off her!"

Erik restrained me. His hands gripped my waist, and he pulled me backwards.

"She's burning, my beloved flame," he said urgently. "She's a vampire and cannot be in sunlight."

I stopped and noted the dull winter sunlight shining through the dirty window panes. I calmed down, and Erik let go of my waist.

"Poppy, are you okay?" I called out.

She stood in the shadows with bloody tears falling down her blistered cheeks. It looked like someone had pressed the bottom of a hot pan against her face.

"I fucking hate being a vampire," she cried.

Erik muttered a curse under his breath when he saw the damage to her face.

"She needs to drink blood to heal," he said.

Byron threw up his hands, "Don't look at me. That bloodsucker isn't getting a drop of my blood."

I opened my mouth to defend Poppy - but Poppy was already on it.

"Like I would want to drink your trash lizard blood," she snapped angrily.

The corners of my mouth twitched into an approving smile. I was glad that Poppy was sticking up for herself.

"I'll get Rupert to bring me some blood," Poppy said, pulling her phone out of her bra.

She tried unlocking her phone but couldn't get it to work.

"My stupid touchscreen isn't working," she said, jabbing the screen with her extremely pale.

"Here, let me try," I said, taking the phone from her and unlocking it.

Poppy stared down at her hands and grumbled, "Stupid, freezing cold vampire fingers."

There were dozens of missed calls and messages from Charlie, India, and Rupert. Oh boy, how was I going to explain this?

I called Rupert, and he picked up the phone straight away.

"Poppy?" He asked.

"It's me," I replied. "I'm with Poppy - we ran into some trouble, but we are okay now."

"Where are you? What happened? Half the village is looking for you two!" Rupert cried.

"I can explain everything - but I'm going to need you to come to the Devil's House with some blood," I said.

There was a long pause on the other end of the phone.

"You're not doing any weird devil stuff," he asked in a low voice.