:: C h a p t e r T h i r t y O n e::

E R I K

E R I K

Fury burned through me as Henry Lombard, the Prince's assassin, gave me a mock bow. He was the man behind all this misery - most likely following orders from the Mad Prince.

"Did you think that you could tempt my mate away from me, Henry?" I growled.

"Your mate came to me for help. I did nothing to tempt her away from you," Henry said smoothly.

"Do not lie to me, demon. My mate only came here to save her family," I snapped.

I took a moment to look away from Henry and check on Morgan. She was huddled on the floor next to Poppy in a thin white nightdress. Her arms were protectively wrapped around Poppy, who appeared to be drifting in and out of consciousness.

"Are you injured, my mate?" I asked Morgan.

She shook her head slightly, and my heart swelled with relief. If Morgan had been injured, I would have torn the heart from Henry's chest and tossed it into the fire.

"I would not hurt a lady," Henry said, feigning offence at the suggestion that he would harm Morgan. "I am Lord, now. The Prince kindly gave me a title and this fort as a reward for my services to him."

"This is my Uncle's fort," I replied through gritted teeth.

I hadn't recognised the fort when I had emerged from the portal. But I remembered the dining hall. It had once been decorated in the icy blue colours and banners of the Frost Wing Dragons. I spent many evenings in this hall as a child, playing with my cousins and brothers.

The dining hall was different now. The banners had been taken down, along with the tapestries that depicted the great history of the Frost Wing dragons. The walls were now bare and empty.

"I've not had a chance to fully redecorate this room," Henry mused.

"Where is my Uncle?" I demanded.

"I killed him and hung his dismembered corpse from the gate tower shortly after you disappeared," Henry explained.

"You bastard," I spat.

Henry shrugged his shoulders.

"It's just business, Erik. Nothing personal. After the dragons abandoned the mountains, Dante claimed the abandoned mountain forts and castles for his Knights."

I gripped the helm of my sword tighter, trying to keep calm and composure. The north had always belonged to the dragons. The vampires had no business being here. They hated the harsh weather and remote wilderness. They much preferred to dwell in their warm coastal cities, growing fat on the blood of the innocent.

"I will drive the vampire scourge from these mountains and reclaim this land," I announced.

"How will you accomplish that with no army, your majesty?" Henry asked.