31) Hanging in the Balance

[Author's Note: lol I had no idea what to name this chapter so I just threw something out there.

X-men Characters in this chapter: Nightcrawler (Kurt), Wolverine (Logan), and Multiple (Jamie)

StormFireGirl's OC: Bio-hazard (A.J.)

OCs: the Shadow (Marcus) and Panther (Emery)]

"Kurt it's been three days, get off the floor and go in the shower. This isn't going to help get her back." 

"A.J., I can't eat. I can't sleep. Why would I shower?"

"Because I'm sure Emery would prefer that when you do rescue her, and you will rescue her, that you don't smell like shit when you do."

Kurt groaned and rolled over.

"The Professor doesn't have anything. He doesn't know how to get her away from him. She didn't even look like she wanted to be rescued."

"Dude, she jumped in between Marcus' powers and us. She was trying to protect us. No. She was trying to protect you. She told everyone to go away so that Marcus wouldn't kill us. Now get off your lazy ass and get in the shower. She's probably waiting for you."

"Ve vere utterly useless. Ve didn't even fight him! Didn't even try to get her. The second she was alone ve just left."

"Because she said to."

"She was promised no one would hurt her, and that ve vouldn't let anyone else hurt her if ve could help it either."

"She didn't look hurt to me. I think she's capable of handling herself. Marcus must want her for something, and as long as there's something he wants, he's not going to hurt her."

"When did you start sounding like the Professor?"

"When you stopped showering."

"Fine, fine," Kurt groaned. "I'll go in de shower."

~

Emery and Marcus were in the gym again, fighting hand to hand.

A missed punch here, a roundhouse kick there: they locked together and fell, rolling and tumbling trying to land a hit on each other. Marcus pinned her beneath him.

"You're getting better."

"And you're getting off me."

Marcus chuckled but got off of her, offering a hand to help her up. She didn't take it; instead she kicked the side of his knee and pounced on him, her hand around his throat and her knee pressing into his groin. He grunted from the impact.

"Smart girl," he groaned. "You learn fucking fast too."

Emery just stared at him. "Take this off me."

"No."

"Yes." She applied pressure to both places. "You gave your word you're not going to hurt me; I give you my word that I'll help you get revenge, but you have to take this off me first."

"It's too soon. You need to master your body before you can master your mind and your mind before you can help me."

"I work better with my mind in full operation."

"I...” He grunted when Emery pressed her knee down further. "Damn you."

"I should have told you. Professor Xavier had me training in the Danger Room for a few months before you kidnapped me. I actually do have some fighting skills. Most however, are from my mind. Although, you should've already known that."

Marcus carefully reached his hand up to her throat.

"You'll regret asking me to do this so soon." A wave of purple electricity shot through the collar around her neck and prickled her skin. She watched it fall off her neck. She immediately backed off of Marcus and kept going until she was pressed back against the wall. She clutched her head in pain. Marcus stood up and walked towards her.

"Emery, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken it off you. Please let me put it back on. I know you don't have complete control over your powers but I can help you."

Her powers came out in a shock wave. Marcus held up his hand, and his own little bubble of plasma encircled him. Her shock wave was absorbed into it.

"Emery. Goddammit," he swore when plasma spikes cascaded from around her. He dodged a few and destroyed the rest with his own dark purple plasma.

Slowly, he made his way over to her as he avoided wave after wave of various forms of her mental powers. He placed his finger on her forehead and she collapsed into his arms. He sighed. She was powerful; he had to give her that. He lifted her bridle-style and carried her into the bedroom he'd given her for her stay here. He placed her gently on the bed and tucked her in.

"Why do you have to be so much like me?" he whispered.

~

"Feel better?" A.J. asked Kurt.

"Ja."

"I have good news for you. At least, I think it's good news."

"So tell me."

"Emery's powers came back on in Cerebo."

"She can fight now?"

"Probably."

"We're going back! Right now," he said rushing out of the room. A.J. followed behind him.

"To what? Get killed?"

"I'm going to get her back right now."

"Are you crazy?"

"Are you coming or not?"

A.J. sighed. "At least take Wolverine with you. He's pissed as hell since he woke up two days ago and he's looking for a fight."

"You just want an excuse to go see Jamie down in the infirmary."

A.J. blushed, "I do not."

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Just go get them. I'll get the car running."

~

"He's going to what?" Logan asked.

"Go get Emery from Marcus."

Wolverine sighed, "Fuzzy you're going to get yourself killed."

"She has her powers back."

"What makes you think she's going to use them against Marcus?"

"I think Kurt's banking on her choosing him over Marcus."

"Let's go before he goes on his own and gets himself killed. I owe Marcus a good slashing anyway."

"Can I come?" Jamie asked.

"I don't think that's such a good idea," Logan said.

"Please Logan?" A.J. asked.

"Fine, but you stick to A.J. here like glue got it?"

"Yes sir!" Jamie winked at A.J., who blushed.

"Then let's get out of here before the Professor stops us," Wolverine commanded, heading towards the door.