35) The Stand Off

[Author's Note:

{5.21.2013} I tried to get all of the errors, but I always miss one, so we'll see

X-Men Characters in this Chapter: Beast (Dr. McCoy), and Professor X (Charles Xavior)

OCs: (Chet), and Panther (Emery).]

Beast arrived at the playground indicated on his GPS sixteen minutes later. He'd nearly doubled his speed. It was a good thing that in this area there were no cops out at this time. The jeep came to an abrupt halt and Beast hurried out of the vehicle, leaving the car running.

"Emery!" he called, trying to figure out which direction to take off in. "Emery, where are you?"

'By the swings,' her words came floating into his mind.

Beast hurried over to the swings to find Emery and a boy, assumingly the new mutant the Professor had called him about, staring at each other. They were about six feet apart, their hands at their sides, and their eyes locked. Neither one of them was moving. Beast didn't know what to make of the situation. As far as he could tell, neither one of them was using their mutant powers. No, they seemed to be locked in a battle of will. Who would look away first and therefore give in to the other? It was a childish game, but unfortunately in their world, it could be the difference between losing and winning a battle, between living and dying.

Beast stood off to Emery's right side, between the swings and her, and a little behind. One of mankind's blind spots. He figured it would be best not to interrupt, but he needed to be close enough if she needed assistance.

"When did your powers appear?" Emery's voice broke the silence, but not their gaze.

"About a month after you disappeared."

"Why didn't you tell me you were a mutant when I was in your room earlier?"

"I wanted you to stay. I thought it would make you leave."

"What made you think that?"

"I thought maybe you would use it to get back at me, hurt me the way that I hurt you."

Beast came to the conclusion that they knew each other. 

"I'm not that low, Chet."

Beast filed the name away in his memory for future usage.

"I realized. That's why I came after you."

"You should have stayed at home."

"I don't know how much longer I can do that."

"Why?"

"You saw my powers. I can't hide it forever."

"You seem to have excellent control over them."

Beast noted that Emery's words were cold, flat. Every last one of them sounded like she intended to push him away, intended to hurt him.

"You know my parents will react the same way yours did when they find out."

"You haven't told them yet, so why would you now?"

"Because if being a mutant can give me a chance to be with you, I'll own up to it."

"You already did."

"Just to you."

"How did you figure out your powers anyway?"

"I ran into a less than friendly mutant, Avalanche or something. I had to defend myself."

"Avalanche doesn't ride solo, Chet."