23) Sparkle

[Author's Note:

{5.20.2013.} Edited through

X-Men Characters In This Chapter: Rogue (Marie), Gambit (Remy), Professor X (Charles Xavier), and Nightcrawler (Kurt)

OCs: Panther (Emery) and the Shadow (Marcus)]

Rogue and Gambit took the first plane towards home.

"So what do you think happened?" Rogue asked.

"I'm not sure de Professor knows hisself. He sounded a bit confused to me."

"Guess we'll just have to find out. Do ya think the lot of them are okay?"

"Ah'd say so." At Rogue's I'm-not-sure look he continued, "They'll be fine cher; they're tough."

"Ah hope you're right."        

~

The Professor traversed down to the infirmary in order to get Kurt. Emery would have to sit this one out, but it would have been a great way to test her teamwork and control. Although, he wasn't sure she had control over herself.

As he approached the infirmary, he realized he couldn't sense Emery or Kurt. ‘Please don't be something wrong here too,’ the Professor thought. He opened the door to find Kurt straddling over Emery, lips interlocked. The air was buzzing with snowflake sized, heart-shaped light.

"Ehem," he cleared his throat to get their attention. Neither one of them heard him; the light particles acted as a mental block and a sound barrier. He picked up an eraser off of Beast's desk by the door and threw it at Kurt. Normally he would've just let them continue, as it was in fact none of his business. However, he needed Kurt's attention.

Kurt jumped, separating the two sets of lips. The red sparkles faded from the air.

"Kurt. Emery." Kurt jumped off the bed, face flushed. The Professor returned the eraser to the desk with his mind. "Do I have your attention now?"

"Yes, sir," Kurt agreed.

Emery nodded.

"Good, now, something went wrong with the retrieval and I need every active x-man on a recovery. That means you, Kurt."

"What happened?!" Kurt asked, worried.

"I am not sure, but Bio-hazard and the team I sent to retrieve her are all unconscious."

"Another mutant?" Kurt asked.

"Either that or the government officials at the facility Bio-hazard went to. However, I cannot see government people being able to take down a team of us, especially when it is composed of the ones it is."

"When are we leaving?"

"As soon as Gambit and Rogue return and I gather the rest of the team."

"Can't you just use the intercom?"

"I'd like to reduce the amount of panic between the youngsters. We have time until those two return; I will go gather everyone." The Professor started to leave. "Oh and Emery, don't block me out. I will need to contact Kurt in some way. I'd prefer it if you did not prevent that again." The Professor left.

~

Emery was confused. She'd blocked the Professor? Mentally and without realizing it?

Kurt started to follow the Professor.

"Kurt?"

He turned to look at her.

"Will you bring me a communicator and a book?"

"Sure, Em." He turned to leave again.

"And Kurt," she called.

"Yes Em?"

"Come home safe."

Kurt turned around and looked at her for a minute, eyes locked with hers. He made his way back to her side and kissed her again.

"I will," he whispered before he exited the room.

~

The Shadow was long gone from the facility. Marcus was euphoric. He'd finally gotten his body back: his very own! Thanks to the stupid facility personnel who decided to preserve it for him. How nice of them to help him against their intentions.

He was on his way back to the Institute. Marcus needed to pay that Emery girl a visit. He wondered what she would be like to fight against, how powerful she actually was, how broad her mental powers reached.

He decided it was going to be well worth it to figure that out.