46) Breaking In, Kicking Out

[Author's Note: {1-18-2014} Posted

X-Men Characters in this chapter: Nightcrawler (Kurt), Professor X (Charles Xavier), Wolverine (Logan), Storm (Ororo), Shadowcat (Kitty), Beast (Dr. McCoy)

OC's: Chet, Panther (Emery), Kenneth]

Emery had decided to head in the opposite direction she had the last time she'd been here. She hadn't known where exactly she was, could never have pointed it out on a map, but she'd known she had to get away from there. And now she was back, and her powers were surging just as they had the day she'd escaped, the day she'd become a murderer. A day later, Kurt had bitten her. He'd made her forget about those people, maybe he could do it again. More likely though, now that she knew that he knew about it, she'd never be able to chase away the nightmare; she'd never be able to chase away the guilt.

She stumbled on a rock, nearly falling face-first into the dirt. Her sensory powers were overwhelming. She had reigned them in; oh yes, she'd managed to do that, but would that last if she came within range of a person. How big was her range even? She could sense both Marcus and Kenneth. They were close. They were with hundreds of others. Marcus was in prison, so it stood to reason Kenneth was too, and that she was near it. But how near?

Logan picked up on her "purple" scent, swearing at the pungency, the second they landed.

"That's her," he growled.

"Can you tell what direction she went?" Ororo asked.

"No. It's everywhere."

"Dr. McCoy?" Ororo turned to Beast.

"I agree, the scent is too strong to tell direction."

"Then we're just going to have to stick to the plan," she decided and the group parted ways.

An hour into their walk, Logan still hadn't rid himself of the purple scent.

"I'm still picking up on her scent."

"Do you, like, think she came this way?" Kitty asked.

"We'll just keep following the scent."

It took Emery a few hours of walking to reach the prison, but she had assumed correctly. She walked right up to the entrance of the prison and broke her way through, a simple palm to the door charged the explosion inwards. She stepped through the hole, over rubble, and into the prison outer ring. Sirens blared around her; lights flashed, but she kept walking. Soon she forced her way through the second wall as well, and up to the front gates. Armed guards, prepared for mutant felons, stood in her way.

"Halt!"

"I want to see my brother. He's inside, and he has information that I need."

"No can do! Breaking into prison is just as illegal as breaking out; you're under arrest!"

Emery sighed. This was why she hated people. This was why she stopped talking to people. They were always in her way; they were always trying to control her; they were always trying to isolate her. At least, that's the way it'd been since she developed her powers.

"Look! I just want to talk to him."

They held their guns firm, pointing directly at her.

'Fine. Be that way,' she broadcast into their brains, startling them and giving her a second's leway. She flung her arms out at them, a wave a plasma hitting them and knocking them down like bowling pins. She spun a layer of plasma completely around her like she was wrapping herself in a blanket, and took off towards the entrance.

It didn't take long for the men to recover, but it took just long enough for her to get inside the doors. There she was confronted with more security features: gates, walls, etc. She blasted her way through whichever ones stood in her way and she made a beeline for Kenneth's aura.

Wolverine, Shadowcat, and Chet arrived on the outskirts of the prison around the same time Emery found Kenneth's cell.

Wolverine sniffed the air, and started off towards the prison.

"Hey! Where are you going?!" Chet called after him.

"She's in there!"

"Go," Chet pushed Kitty forward. I'll call in to the Professor and meet you inside."

Shadowcat nodded and took off after Wolverine.

"Professor! Logan caught her scent. He says she's inside the prison. That's the same prison that Kenneth's being held in isn't it?"

"Yes."

When Kurt heard the news of Emery's location he breathed a sigh of relief. She was in their realm, he could get to her.

"Let's go, Professor, Bitte."

The Professor started up the jet.

"Hello, Emery," Kenneth said when she broke open the door to his cell. "Are you here to break me out?" He stood up and leaned against the wall opposite the hole.

"No."

"Then why are you here? You know Kurt flipped out on Chet for not letting him catch you. That daemon boy really seems to love you."

"Don't call him a daemon; don't change the topic. I'm here to talk about mom and dad."

Kenneth scoffed and crossed his hands over his chest. "Nothing much to talk about there."

"I know they sold us both to a government mutant research team, but I don't know why, or who."

"Why? You want to know why our own parents would sell us to the highest bidder? Because they're greedy bastards that were so disgusted at the fact that we aren't human, that we aren't like them that they convinced themselves they didn't love us. And I don't think they ever did if they could just dispose of us like that. Emery, they knew. They knew the research team was going to hurt us. They just didn't care."

"How do you know that they knew?"

"Because I read their minds! You never had a chance to, because your powers came out at school, and mom and dad never went near you after that. Kicked you out of the house, sure, but they never talked to you. They just let the government take you away, just like they did to me. And the best part," Kenneth laughed dryly, "is that dad was one of them! Dad studied mutants at the same facility up until he had me. Then mother-dearest convinced him to change jobs, to keep the children away from the filth."

"Dad was one of them?"

"Didn't you ever wonder how he got them there so fast?"

"So who are they? What do they call themselves?"

"They're all dead now. It doesn't matter."

Emery heard a gun load behind her. She turned around slowly. She'd forgotten she was in a prison, for mutants. She'd forgotten.

"We will shoot," one of the guards said.

Emery raised her left hand to prop up a plasma shield, but the guard that spoke, positioned off to her right, was faster.

"Emery!" Kenneth screamed.

The bullet hit her arm and her hand fell back to her side. She screamed mentally, her go-to mental cacophony of sirens blasting out of her mind and bringing pain to everyone within her range.

Wolverine and Shadowcat were following both the scent and the trail of passed out guards. They knew Emery was in here somewhere. Most likely, Wolverine assumed, she'd be at Kenneth's cell, and so far, the path was taking them there.

They raced around the corner to the hallway Kenneth's cell was in and were confronted with a squad of armed guards. They only had a second to process this before their brains erupted in a screeching, wailing siren.

Emery was definitely there, and she was definitely not doing so well on her own.

[Author's Note:

{1-18-2014} Bitte = please]