Tears

Grian

I stared up at the ceiling, feeling completely lost and numb. The pain of memories flooded through me. Guilt of not being able to save Joel, and the guilt for being the reason the Watchers had ever found Hermitcraft in the first place. My heart hurt from the memory of Sausage's face when I told him Joel had been taken.

I sighed, stretching my feathery wings with a wince. I knew one day I'd have to fight back, I couldn't run forever. I'd taken the Hermits kindness and shelter for granted and it was high time I told them the truth. But I was scared. Scared of how they might see me after this. I didn't want to lose them, they were basically family to me.

"Grian?" I sat up to see Xisuma walking into the room.

"Hey Xisuma" I greeted him, "what's up?"

"I don't know" Xisuma came and sat next to me, a nervous expression on his face, "I'm so worried and I haven't been sleeping properly".

"You don't need to be so hard on yourself" I comforted him, "it's not your fault". It's mine, I restrained myself from adding.

"I got a little more sleep last night" Xisuma mused, "but that's because Cleo came in and was hinting she'd knock me out if I didn't sleep".

"Sounds like her" I laughed.

"What did we ever do to them?" Xisuma said suddenly, "what did we ever do to deserve this?"

"Watchers are cruel creatures" I sighed, "I saw what they did to Evo, they have no pity for anyone".

But I know they aren't here just for the sake of it. They're here because I refuse to be caught. No matter how hard they try, or how many fights to the deaths they put me through they haven't caught me.

"Even though I'm an admin I don't fully understand how they work" Xisuma murmured, "and I haven't figured out what they've done to Ren".

Even though I knew what Ren had done in third life, what he was doing was so unlike him. Ren was usually friendly and goofy, not this cold hearted villain he had become now. I knew the Watchers must have done something to him.

I wondered what was up with Bdubs. Probably just following orders, I figured. Etho's code had just been completely altered, there was little hope for him.

"Anyway I'm gonna go speak to Fwip" Xisuma stood up. I waved goodbye as he left.

I decided I needed some fresh air. I stood up and stretched before making my way out the door, walking carefully down the staircase. I walked out the main doorway, sunlight beating down on me; blinding me momentarily. Loneliness struck me. It was so quiet without Scar. I missed his pranks and silly jokes, the silence was unbearable.

I stifled a sob. Betrayal hurt like nothing I'd ever felt before. I finally understood how Scar had felt in doublelife.

I wiped my eyes and started walking. I had to clear my head. The path took me to the entrance of the forest, where I hesitated before entering. No one knew where I'd gone but I wouldn't be long. What's the worst that could happen?

I nervously eyed the undergrowth. It was unlikely that Ren had found where they were hiding, but it was still possible. As time passed I relaxed, and made the mistake of dropping my guard.

I heard a small rustle in the bushes, but not until it was too late.
The butt of the axe smashed into my skull, knocking him out cold.

I jolted awake as I felt a sudden rush of icy cold water cover my legs before it disappeared. I peeled my eyes open to see the fading view of a river. I felt strong arms carrying him. As my senses returned I realised my wrists were tied and my communicator was missing. My captor was smart.