Death

Pearl

I will fight this.

My body struggled again at Cleo's weight, but I was held down with ease. I wasn't going anywhere.

Stop it. I am on my friend's side.

No, you are mine to control.

I never was and I never will be, I thought firmly. I managed to twitch my hand again.

Stop fighting. This is what you were destined for.

No, it's not. I will NEVER fight for you.

It's not a choice.

I am my own person. You cannot control me.

But I already am.

"No.." I felt happiness dance as I managed to speak a word of my own.

"You can do it Pearl" Cleo murmured to me, "we need you back quickly, we're losing the battle".

I heard a bloodcurdling scream echo from the sky. I saw a flash of light and Grian fall from the sky before correcting himself inches from the ground. The man flew back up where Etho was waiting for him. I braced myself, filled with determination. If Grian can do it so can I.

Get out of my head.

Never, you are mine.

I am no one's. Get OUT.

I felt the darkness in my mind retreat a little at that. I felt a small amount of control return to me.

Stop fighting.

Never. I said GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

With a mental blast so strong I nearly fainted, whatever was in my mind was thrown forcefully out. I felt control flood back to me.

"I'm back" I said weakly to Cleo.

"Good job" Cleo smiled, releasing her grip on my wrists, "you need to help Grian".

"Right" I nodded. Cleo lumbered off me and I scrambled to my feet.

I tentatively flapped my wings, slightly nervous. I slowly lifted off into the air. I spun around to where Etho and Grian were fighting. It was clear to see that Etho was winning. I beat my wings, propelling myself up to them.

"Etho" I said loudly. The silvernette turned to look at me with cold hatred. I shivered at the realisation his mask had fallen off, making him look even more menacing. I'd never seen his face before, it was unsettling.

"How did you get free?" Etho hissed.

"I'm stronger than them" I shot back.

Grian suddenly lunged forward, preparing to strike Etho. Fast as a snake, Etho turned, catching Grian's arm and flinging him away. Grian grunted before righting himself and flying up beside me.

"Pathetic" Etho sniffed.

All of a sudden the world let out a loud crack, then a rumble. I looked to the crack in the sky, noticing it had gotten much bigger.

"Pearl, let's finish this" Grian told me, "we'll figure everything out later".

I nodded and braced myself. I could do this.

Bdubs

No.

They were winning again.

I had to stop this. I couldn't let this happen. I watched in fear as the crack in the sky continued to grow.

"They're trying to breach the code wall!" Came a shout from Fwip, "they're trying to get in!".

"We can't let them" Xisuma said fearfully, "they got in once and we were nearly all killed".

I shivered from the memory. It was painful to think about. I suddenly noticed shadowy figures were flickering in and out of view around the battlefield. I looked away, trying not to think about it too much.

"Bdoubleo are you going to help or just stand there?" Ren appeared in front of me.

"Oh sorry" I stammered, "I-".

"Not to worry" Ren nodded, "we are winning anyway". My stomach dropped at his words.

I watched Ren bound away, his dog like feet carrying him effortlessly over the battlefield. I had to stop him. I let out a muffled cry, letting the tears fall. I knew what I had to do but I wasn't sure I had the will to do it.

Ren was my best friend, I wasn't sure I could bring myself to cause him harm. My heart felt like it was being torn in two. On one hand if I killed Ren everyone's lives would be saved but on the other... Ren would lose his if I did.

It should've been clear from the start. The Watchers had done nothing to Ren.

It was all him.

All his fault.

Which meant I was to blame as well. I'd appointed Ren as king, influenced him, given him power. And I could take it all away.

If I was brave enough.

Ren

What a joy it was to be king. Command over others. Freedom to do as I liked. It was exciting.

But nothing beat the excitement of battle. I ran through the fray, swinging my axe. I felt invincible, every attack bouncing off me. My hackles raised, I drew in a deep breath. The scent of blood, sweat and fear filled me, making my mouth water.

I approached False from behind. With a quick slash I struck her. A large gash open in her back like the world's biggest smile. The woman turned around with a shriek, raising her shield at the last second as I brought my axe down on her again. Her terror only made my excitement greater.

"What's wrong False?" I said with contempt, "scared?"

The woman's gaze hardened but said nothing. False was possibly the greatest fighter in the whole server, but fear had filled her, leaving her a trembling mess.

I raised my axe, ducking under her attack, I smashed the butt of the axe against the side of her head. She was knocked to the ground and didn't get up. I let out a hearty laugh, swishing my tail with glee.

"Ren stop!" Lizzie appeared, grabbing me by the arm "this isn't you".

"Get off me" I snarled, "I am myself. Despite what you believe the Watcher's did nothing to me".

Lizzie's eyes widened, filled with sadness. I shook her off, knocking her to the ground. She fell with a thump. I raised my foot before bringing it down upon torso. A horrific crunch sounded as her ribs were smashed. Lizzie let out a choked scream of pain, cut off by a coughing fit. The pink haired woman spat blood on the ground.

I stared down at her, writhing in pain. Temptation and exhilaration filled me. I could kill her. Just one swing of the axe and she'd be dead. The oath I swore to her so long ago broken at last. I was no longer a mere soldier to her. I took a deep breath, raising the axe high above my head, preparing to slice her in half.

Suddenly pain filled me. I felt a sharp blade enter my body, slicing me open as it smashed through my heavily damaged armour. I felt the sword slide right through my heart, killing me. As my mind flickered with darkness, I felt the blade get pushed further in, blood spurting everywhere as it minced my insides and slid out the other side.

I felt the pressure on the handle suddenly release but the sword stayed lodged in my torso. I slowly turned around, wondering who had managed to get me.

It was Bdubs. The man stood there looking at me with an expressionless face. Reeling with nothing but pure sadness, rage, and shock, I stumbled forward.

"You-" I gasped, "betrayed me..."

I fell face forward, hitting the ground with a brutal thud. My whole body burned with pain as I bled out. There I lay as I died, in a pool of my own blood, staining the grass red. Not a hand to hold or arm to squeeze as my life was sapped away from me. With a sigh I shut my eyes.

It was all over.