10 - The Campers are Cooking!

I wake up to the sound of my alarm beeping like crazy, waking me up in an instant like it always does. "Stupid alarm" I said to myself as I turn it off and get out of my bed, but I fell on my bed again.
"I don't want to get up, the covers are so warm and cozy, I want to sleep more" I said, then I heard a knock on the door.
"I'm up, I'm up!" I said as I quickly got out of bed and changed into my usual clothes that I wear around Camp Wawanakwa. "Hey hey, no need to rush, it's still early in the morning Y/N, so take your time to get ready, then meet me by the docks" said Chris, who was at the door before walking away. I let out a sigh of relief, I thought that I overslept just now!
After I got myself ready for the day, I walk out of my trailer and head towards the docks by the camp.

As I got to the docks, I didn't see Chris anywhere.
"Hm, I wonder where he is? He told me to meet him by the docks, didn't he?" I said to myself as I scratch my head in confusion. Then I heard footsteps behind me, I turn my head around to see Chris holding two cups of coffee and two sandwiches. "Morning, I quickly got us some coffee and sandwiches from the cafeteria for breakfast" he said as he gave me some coffee and one sandwich. "Thanks, you didn't have to do that".
"Well, you were doing such a good job, so why not return you the favor as well?" He said with a cheeky smile on his face, I shrug my shoulders as I eat the sandwich. "Fair enough. So anyway, why did you want to meet me by the docks this early in the morning? Is it about today's challenge?"
I ask, he lets out a sigh. "You read me like a book, I'm impressed" he said as he placed his cup of coffee next to him.
"Well today, the campers will have a cooking competition!" He said with enthusiasm.

"Really? That's a great idea Chris!" I said with joy.
"Will the cooking competition have some kind of theme to it? Like making food from different cultures or make their own menu?" I ask as I bite into my sandwich once more while looking at Chris. "Well, there's no specific theme to this challenge, but they just have to come up with their own theme and menu and serve it to us for..well, for us to judge on the flavors, recipe and mostly the taste of the food..so, just like if they were working in a restaurant, that's all" he said with a smile while drinking his coffee.
"Anyways, like I said, we will be judging their food for the challenge, because we're the most important people in that part of their challenge, so..let's just hope that they can pull it off" he said before finishing his coffee and sandwich.
"Well, I should get ready to head to the beach and explain the challenge to them, do you want to join me or help Chef prepare the kitchen for them?" He said while looking at me.

"Oh, if you don't mind me being around you while you're explaining the challenge, then sure, I'll tag along" I said as I finished my sandwich.
"Aren't you going to finish your coffee first?" He asks while smiling. "I'll just drink it on the way, so there's no need to worry about that" I said while holding the cup of coffee in my hand, Chris lets out a small chuckle "Alright, if you say so, let's head to the beach then"

As we were heading to the beach, I start to hear a couple of the campers talking by the beach, where they're waiting for us..well, mostly Chris anyway, I'm just tagging along.
"Oh look dudes, it's Y/N and Chris!" Said Geoff loudly before we even got close to them, a couple of them were waving and calling out to us while some were just looking at us.
"Hey guys" I said while smiling, it's always nice to see the campers being cheerful..well, almost everyone, but still it counts.
"I see that everyone isn't here yet, so I guess that we'll just have to wait a bit longer" said Chris to the others. Everyone just shrugs their shoulders and continue to do their own thing, I felt that my face was heating up a little bit, but from what?
I look at Chris, smiling and checking his phone and hearing him talk to himself was..kind of cute.
One of the campers seemed to notice my expression and giggle, while some didn't notice it or just didn't pay too much attention to it.
The rest of the campers that haven't been eliminated showed up and Chris was starting to explain to them the challenge while I stood next to him and listened as well.

"Today's challenge will test your minds, your teamwork and your skills in the kitchen! You'll be making a three course meal and serving it to us for tasting. The winners get a reward, the losers will send somebody home. Each team will appoint a head chef to create the theme of the meal and oversee the cooking. To cook,you need ingredients..." Said Chris as he turns around and points to one truck that just drove up into shore.
"Every morning a truck brings us food. Today's task starts there, good luck" said Chris as he stops explaining the challenge and motions for me to leave with him, so I follow him and wave goodbye and gave all the campers a thumbs up for good luck.
"I can't wait and see what the campers will come up with" said Chris as he puts his hands in his pockets.
"I can't wait either, it's getting me all excited!" I said with a huge smile on my face.
"Let's head back to our side of the island and then go check up on them in a couple of minutes or in an hour to see how they're doing" said Chris
"Okay then" I said casually.

"Also, why were you looking at me weirdly back there?" Said Chris with a stare, oh..so he did notice.
"What? I don't know what you're talking about" I said, trying to come up with an excuse, he just laughs. "I'm only messing with you, relax"
"Damnit Chris, don't do that to me!" I said as I lightly punch him in the shoulder, we both laughed as we got back to our trailers and go our seperate ways for the time being before we go to check on the campers and their progress on the challenge.