Chapter 41 - Stop Me

Abby was in a forested area, sitting on a bench looking out at the pond. Just seeing him, just being somewhere natural where the air was fresh made me feel a modicum of peace. I felt Levi somewhere in the woods nearby, napping barefoot in the soft grass. For a Human, he sure acted like a forest nymph. I smiled to myself as I sat next to the old mage in peace. We stayed there for a long time, just sitting in silence, tranquillity.

Maybe thirty minutes later, maybe longer, he addressed me.

"Hello, child."

"Hi, Abby."

"How is he?"

I paused, unsure of how to respond. After an extended silence, Abby looked over at me.

"I don't know," I finally said, knowing it wasn't really an answer, just honest.

"Do not lose hope. Think of the despair you felt just a few weeks ago, the dark that covered us all, versus now. He is not lost - or, not as lost as we thought. He is here. Ambriel has lost her hold. And he has agreed to stay to gain your help. This war is not over for you, far from it."

His explanation sounded like he was reminding himself of our triumphs just as much as me. I didn't need to ask how he knew the agreement James and I had come to. Abby knew everything in his home, like it was an extension of him. Two words snagged at my mind though - for you.

"You aren't getting better, are you?"

Now he paused, and that gave my answer.

"Not after bringing Ailech back." I prodded and he nodded, watching the water ripple from some faux current.

"It wasn't Ailech alone. I don't know if you have noticed, child, but I am past my prime by maybe a year or two." He chuckled. "But yes, magic is not the endless well every brazen new mage believes when we are young. Everything from Earth has an end, and the power required to keep our home secure, to keep my charges safe, and to bring back Ailech...well, the water is getting shallow."

I had to swallow twice before I could get a sound out.

"How long?"

"I can keep the Vault as it is for decades to come, but little more. Or I can provide immediate assistance, but little longevity. And that is what has been weighing on me since Malachi's request for Ailech. He would have been worth even more centuries to me, it just took Malachi's unique brand of...wisdom to remind me of that."

I knew Malachi had Abby bring back Ailech with dark magic, soul magic that he only knew because of Baraqiel. But this, that my brother had asked - begged - or more likely, fought bloody murder, screaming and swearing to bring Ailech back, to save him even at the cost of the mage's life...it hurt. But I was also proud of Abby and Malachi alike for giving up so much for those they felt responsible for, those they shielded. Those they loved.

"Surely the other mages here can help, can use their own power to keep the Vault as it is, so you can...so you won't..." I paused to stop my stuttering. "So you will have more time."

"Oh child, they can and they do. If it was only me, we would be speaking of a matter of weeks, not years. But I am not concerned with more time, only about the next right thing. Everything has an end, and I am not searching for the longest path, just the one with the most good along it."

I nodded stiffly, watching the water again as I felt another approach: Levi. I smiled at him weakly, though I knew it didn't matter. He knew my mind, probably Abby's too, and I knew he had heard enough.

"Hey, little bro."

"Hi, sis. Don't worry, it can still be ok."

"Last time you said it will be ok - now it's just can?" I tried to smile, but Levi didn't return it, his serious face seemed out of character.