Chapter 7

Dancing bodies were everywhere. Wave after wave of jumping, drinking, dancing. Someone ran past you, and you watched with acute amusement at them cannonballing into the pool. You grinned, you've always been one for partying, however, you've also had your moments where you would rather stay home and watch TV. Right now? Clearly the former.

Wandering over to the drink stand, you let your eyes roam over everyone. They were all dressed in colourful swimsuits, wide smiles on their faces and they looked so free. You had also put on the swimsuit, finding one already placed in your room. It was simple, a black two-piece. The stand was crowded, and you managed to shove your way to the front and snatch a punch looking cocktail. You decided not to drink too much, after all, you still had a game.

Bouncing your body to the beat, your feet took you to one of the empty folding chairs. You sat down, throwing back your drink. It was surprisingly sweet, quite tropical as well. Taking off the tiny umbrella, you twiddled it around the tips of your fingers. Should you go into the pool? You would rather not have to shower before the game. Plus –you thought as you watched yet another person cannonball into the already crowded pool and successfully knock a couple of people over– you would also rather not be injured.

Opting to join the throng of people dancing in front of the DJ booth, you placed your glass somewhere on the ground and bustled over. You joined the sweaty bodies, letting music pump through your veins. 

The air smelled of alcohol, chlorine and bodies, but that didn't deter you from having the time of your life. Along the way, you had danced with this one girl, who gripped your hand so tight you wondered if it was going to bruise later. You had half a mind to find Arisu and Karube, just so they wouldn't worry about you, but you pushed that thought into the back of your mind as yet another person started dancing with you.

Your eyes unintentionally found a certain someone in a white hoodie and bleached hair. It was unexpected, as he was all the way across the pool from you, hiding in a corner with a drink in hand. You didn't take him for a party person.

Breaking away from the fun, you pondered getting another drink, before ultimately deciding not to. Making your way over to Chishiya, you watched with a grin on your face at the couple making out in broad daylight in the middle of the pool.

God, this place was fun.

"Surprised?" You asked, finally stopping in front of him.

He gave you a flat stare, and you watched as he seemed to shrink further into the wall as the music got louder.

"I saw you coming from a mile away."

You laughed, "why are you here? You don't strike me as a party person."

"And why is that so?"

You visibly gave him a once over, and once you made eye contact, you immediately averted his gaze. "Please, the only party thing you are is a party pooper."

"I detest that."

Before you could open your mouth, a voice spoke up from behind you.

"Who is this? And why are we speaking English?"

Swivelling around, you saw Kuina. She was dressed in her trademark blue bikini two-piece, two drinks in hand, and a fake cigarette hanging from her lips. She passed a drink to Chishiya, who accepted it.

"I'm speaking it because this bimbo doesn't understand anything else."

"Bimbo?" You exclaimed, sounding thoroughly scandalised, "And I can understand Japanese!"

"Maybe so, but hearing you speak it makes my ears bleed and I would rather avoid that."

You pulled a face, brain rearing to find a response.

"You two seem like good friends."

Chishiya was quick to shoot the statement down, "we are not friends."

"Wow thanks," you muttered sarcastically, "and tell me why I knew you were going to say that."

Kuina laughed, "the way I also knew." Holding out her hand to you, she smiled, "Kuina, you?"

You took her hand, giving your own smile in turn. "Y/n."

Chishiya took a sip of his drink, eyes narrowing at your connected hands, "I feel like I'm going to regret letting you two meet."

Kuina gave him a shit-eating grin, "too late now."

He sighed, taking another sip of his drink. Kuina released your hands and leaned against the wall next to Chishiya.

"So, how'd you two meet?"

"Game." He answered, short and curt.

She gave him a deadpan look and faced you instead.

"Tag game." You gestured to Chishiya with your chin, "the lil' shit wouldn't help me with my wound, even after I saved his life."

Kuina whistled, "wow, Chishiya, you're an ass."

He raised an eyebrow, "I don't recall that ever happening."

"What, you not helping me with my injury or me saving your life?"

"Both."

"I asked you! And you said, and I quote, 'And why would I?'," you mimicked his accent, "and I literally pulled you away and out the door milliseconds before the tagger shot up the place!"

"Didn't happen."

"I should've just let your face get blown off."

He shrugged, a light smile playing on his lips, "a lot of people want that. Get in line."

Kuina burst out laughing, "I'm first on that list."

"More like 7th."

You were grinning like an idiot, you playfully questioned, "what number am I?"

"Somewhere in the 20s."

You huffed, not satisfied. You then heard someone shouting behind you.

"Y/n! Y/n!"

Whirling around, your smile stretched wider at the sight of Arisu, Karube, and unexpectedly, Usagi as well. "Arisu! Karube! Usagi!"

Arisu looked worried, which was fair, and he immediately did a once over once he got close enough, checking for any new injuries and whatnot. Karube didn't look too happy with you, which was also fair. You gave a tiny wave to Usagi, who returned it.

You held your hands up in a placating manner, "sorry sorry. I got...distracted."

Helpless, you turned to Chishiya and Kuina. Kuina, being the sweetheart she is, immediately translated it. You glared at Chishiya's smirk, seriously wondering whether to clock him in the face or not.

"You still shouldn't have just run away like that, Y/n." Karube looked at you like a parent would scolding a child.

"Can't I have fun?" You sounded a bit petulant, but you ignored that in favour of crossing your arms.

Arisu looked exasperated, "we– you– you should have at least found us first. We didn't know what happened to you."

"Sorry sorry. Won't happen again."

Karube sighed, "I doubt it."

You smacked his arm in retaliation. Suddenly, a siren noise rang out, and someone from the crowd cheered.

"It's time for the games!"

Cheering, whistling and whooping ensued. The whole horde of people collectively moving towards the foyer. You sighed, as if carrying the world's burdens on your shoulders. Glancing towards the still cheering people, you inwardly hoped you would still be partying tomorrow and not dead in an arena somewhere.