Chapter 16

"First, Arisu will infiltrate the royal suite..."

You were in a random hotel suite, everyone surrounding Chishiya who was in the middle of relaying his plans to us. Too bad they were dishonest.

You couldn't help but look disgruntled at every word leaving the Cheshire Cat's lips, and you hated yourself for being so transparent.

"Then he will search for the safe and steal all the playing cards inside."

"What about the passcode?" Arisu inquired.

"I have an idea of that," Chishiya placed a walkie talkie on the table and slid it over to Arisu, "I'll tell you when you're in front of the safe."

"You're really cautious," Arisu mused, "I got it."

"Usagi and Kuina will be on the lookout." Another walkie talkie was produced.

Usagi's facial expression mirrored the turmoil happening inside of you, "this is too dangerous. If we're discovered, we'll be killed."

Chishiya said nothing, and lazily slid his gaze over to Usagi.

Arisu noticed her apprehension, and rushed to reassure her, "this is the only way to change the current situation. Now that Hatter is dead and there's no unity at the Beach, the time is right for this plan."

"What will I be doing?"

You glanced at Karube, who looked fidgety but determined.

Chishiya directed his attention to him, and hummed, "you are not needed for this plan to work, although if you really want to make yourself useful, I guess you can also be on the lookout."

Karube clenched and unclenched his fists, and you briefly wondered whether he was really going to punch Chishiya in the face.

"Y/n."

You furrowed your brows, about to argue against Chishiya dragging you into his shit.

"Stay out of this. You'll not be dragged into my shit, as you so kindly put it."

You huffed, unconvinced, "pull something funny and I'll pull your teeth out."

"Lovely."

You were on your way back to your room, you don't think you could stand watching Arisu being betrayed. You had decided to get ready for the massacre that'll happen tonight, after all, there were some valuables you prefer not to go up in flames.

You walked absentmindedly, feet carrying you through muscle memory while you let your mind drift. You hadn't noticed Ann approaching you from down the hall before it was too late.

You knew you were supposed to be in the lobby waiting for Aguni's speech, but you really couldn't bring yourself to go.

"What are you doing here?"

You startled, seeing Ann's hardened eyes.

"Forgot something in my room." The lie slid smoothly off your tongue, which surprised you a little.

However, from the way she looked at you, you knew she had caught your lie, and it took everything not to squirm under her piercing gaze.

"Don't be late to the speech."

With that, she continued on her way, and you let out a momentary breath of relief. Letting her advice enter through one ear and out the other, you started drifting again, mind preoccupied with the list of things you were planning to pack into your backpack.