Chapter 45

You gazed at the complex winding system of the power station, the Queen of Spades banner waving tauntingly overhead. The dark backdrop contrasted heavily with the fluorescent lights, and you found yourself slightly puzzled with the layout.

Kuina seemed to have spotted the entrance where some people were milling about. She stepped towards it, but before she could continue, you reached out and grabbed her wrist.

Kuina wasn't supposed to play this game, and you dreaded the thought of the plot derailing any further. What if she died here? What if Ippei died here? What if their presence caused Arisu's team to lose instead? Logically, you knew that having Kuina would put your team at an advantage, but the what ifs won't stop circling your mind. You couldn't do it. Kuina glanced back at you, confused.

"Don't play."

Her eyes widened, brows furrowing as she registered your words.

"Y/n—"

"Don't play!"

Your words rang out in the silence, Ippei flinching at your tone.

You swivelled around to face him, "you too. Ippei, don't play this game. You'll stay out here with Kuina and wait until we clear this game—"

A firm hand gripped your shoulder, yanking you back around. You stumbled.

"Y/n."

You were about to protest, a turret of words at the tip of your tongue, but that died the moment you saw the fierce determination in her eyes.

"Listen to me very carefully, I will not, under any circumstances, back out from this. I made a promise to myself and I will not break it."

You were about to question exactly what promise would make her risk her life when a familiar voice spoke from behind you.

"Y/n? Kuina?"

You whipped around, a smile immediately gracing your features when you saw Usagi with a small boy at her side. She looked shocked, and you didn't get to see it morph into joy before you already had her in an embrace. She froze, only for a split second before she brought her arms up and wrapped it around you.

You pulled back, "Usagi! How've you been?"

Seeing her has lightened the weight on your heart, just a little bit.

The soft smile on her face faltered, and she glanced questioningly at Kuina.

"I told her."

Usagi nodded solemnly, and looked back at you. If she noticed your smile turning somewhat pained, she didn't say anything.

Your eyes flickered to the little boy, and you crouched down to become eye-level with him, "hello, what's your name?"

The boy tentatively glanced up at Usagi, who nodded in response.

"Kota."

"Oh, nice to meet you Kota! Are you here to play the game?"

Fear immediately flooded his features and he jerkily shook his head, "I don't wanna go."

You straightened, "Usagi, how many days?"

"One."

Shit, he has to play then.

Kota was fidgeting with his fingers, his fight or flight instincts activated. You made a futile effort to console him, "don't be scared, I'll protect you."

It was a weak promise. You didn't even know if you could protect yourself. Luckily, this game doesn't involve much killing, just a lot of running and beating up and the possible off-chance you slip off the railing and plummet to your death.

Usagi pulled the boy aside, presumably giving him a pep-talk. You felt a touch on your arm.

"Y/n, I'm going, alright?"

Turning around, you saw her pleading expression. Kuina had her heart set, who were you to deny her this?

"Okay."

She smiled, and you instinctively returned it.

You noticed Ippei fiddling with his fingers, looking nervous.

"Ippei."

He jumped, startled. Deer-like eyes fixated on you and you felt your heart warm slightly.

"You don't have to do this, you have enough days on your VISA. You should sit this one out."

"Is that...is that okay?"

Kuina looped her arm around your shoulders, leaning in to face Ippei, "of course it's okay! Y/n and I will take care of this, you just sit out here and relax."

Ippei breathed a sigh of relief, nodding his affirmation.

"We should head in before it reaches the player limit."

You tipped your head back to look at Usagi, who seemed to have managed to rope the boy into agreeing to participate in this death game.

You steeled your resolve, reminding yourself that this was one of the less cruel games.

"Let's go."