Chapter 26

"We're pinned down here!"

Another spray of bullets rebounded off the car mere inches away from your face, and you flinched back harshly.

Your heart was jackrabbiting in your chest, because the King of Spades was walking down the road right now, and for some reason the fear you felt at this moment was incomparable to anything else.

"If we step out, he'll get us!"

Usagi's distinct voice rang out, accompanied by more gunfire in her direction. Your breath hitched, and you curled more into Kuina, who welcomed your warmth.

All your rationality was gone, your mind white static and all you could focus on was the gunfire ringing out every second accompanied by the occasional scream. You trembled, and the feeling of Kuina's arms wrapping around your shoulders did nothing to ease the panic.

Suddenly, the rumbling of a car could be heard, and relief washed over you in waves. Untangling yourself, you peeked over the hood to see Ann in the passenger's seat, Tatta popping his upper body out of the window to shout.

"Hurry up! Get in!"

"Tatta!" You grinned, ever happy to see your saviour.

He smiled back, and Ann scolded, "don't just stand there!"

Scrambling, you stood, gunfire now aimed at your little group. The next few seconds were a blur, your eyes were half-closed, bullets dented the car and floor, muffled shouting overshadowed by never-ending shots.

Usagi had clawed her way onto the car first, followed by Arisu, Karube and Kuina. You were going to be next, and you saw Kuina reach out to you.

You didn't forget about the grenade, but you wanted to get onto the car so desperately you ignored the deadly bomb suddenly in front you. Before you could even process this escalation, a harsh tug at the back of your shirt had you stumbling back.

"Y/n! Chishiya!"

The grip on the back of your shirt was still pulling, and you knew that if you didn't get away from the grenade, it was likely you would die. So, you ignored Kuina's cry, and struggled after Chishiya with shaky legs.

Slamming your back against the wine red car, you fought back the tears threatening to spill again, and tried your best to ignore the way your whole body ran cold at the thought of Tatta's death.

You had fully intended to get into the car, keeping Tatta in sight as you worked out the details of your plan. You didn't exactly know what you were going to do, but everything would be fine as long as Tatta was with you, right?

You were shaking, and despite the rational voice in your head telling you that you can just meet them later at the Osmosis game entrance, your brain dove straight off the deep end.

An insistent arm was tugging at you, and you stood, letting yourself get dragged forward. Your eyes were blurry, and you were convinced that tears were already streaming down your cheeks.

The two of you were headed towards a building, a couple metres off the sidewalk. You had managed to make it to the entrance before you heard someone curse.

That was all you were aware of before hot pain –so excruciating you cried out– seared down your side. It burned, and your knees almost collapsed on the spot. You spasmed, gasping for air amongst the waves of agony rolling down your spine.

You felt yourself get dragged, the movement made you choke out a sob, and the next second, you were plotted against a cold surface.

Your world was swimming, a mix of greys and greens.

Your shaky hand hovered over your left side, which was gushing out blood like there was no tomorrow. Blinking through a fresh wave of tears, Chishiya's face came into view, and surprisingly, he did look a little bit concerned.

You gritted your teeth every time you inhaled, breathing started to get difficult as it jostled your wound the wrong way. Your breath came out in fast and harsh puffs.

You could see Chishiya's mouth moving, but the roaring in your ears and your lack of focus made it near impossible to figure out what he was saying.

Your vision faded in and out, and your mind wandered back to Tatta one last time before you were rendered unconscious.