Chapter 12

Notes: So, turns out I miscalculated the days. Just to let you know, I pushed the 'steal the gun' one day back to fix the timeline. You can reread the last chapter if you're a bit confused as I have made the relevant changes. Anyways, enjoy this chapter :)

You shoved the gun further into the cotton. A hole you had created in your mattress to hide the weapon. Scattered around you were bunches of the mattress filling you pawed out to create enough room for the handgun. You were pretty sure they wouldn't find this if it came down to searching your room, plus, the crazy stuff starts happening soon, they won't even have time.

Satisfied with your work, you pulled the cover over the hole you made. Frowning at the cotton littered around your bed, you shrugged and kicked it under the bed. Out of sight, out of mind.

You were in a pretty good mood, you would have been in an even better one if Chishiya didn't catch you red-handed, but we can't all get what we want.

Humming down the hall, you had set your mind on joining the fun downstairs, having only experienced the clubbing while spying on Not-Takashi. Unfortunately, your plans were swiftly interrupted by a certain white-hoodie wearing asshole.

"Y/n."

You whirled around, spotting the male with bleached hair.

"Chishiya..." you raised your eyebrows, "oh! I think that was the first time you've called me by my name!"

Scanning the grin on your face, he sighed, "whatever. I'll cut to the chase." Expression suddenly serious, he regarded you with cold eyes. "How will you live in this world of despair?"

The line sounded a bit familiar, but you soldiered on. "Um...I'll just do whatever, I don't know, why?"

He looked a bit pained, "you don't want to escape?"

"Who's to say I don't?"

"How do you plan to?"

It hit you like a bullet train. He was trying to use you, like he did with Arisu. Was he planning to have you replace Arisu's role in being bait? Lil' shit.

You couldn't stop your smile from getting more plastic, "I'm not sure yet...why? You need something?"

"What's to say I need something?"

You stared at his disinterested expression, and you would have totally fell for it if not for your knowledge of the plot.

"Call it intuition. But whatever you're planning, I don't want to be a part of it."

"I'm not planning anything."

You hummed, "sure, I believe you. Don't drag me into it though."

There was no visible change in his facial expression, but you did notice that his body seemed more tense than usual. Giving him a finger salute, you walked away.

For some reason, you didn't feel like partying anymore.

The next morning was a blur of cheering, whistling and whooping. People paved the way for Hatter's departure, all shouting encouragement. You had woken up just to see this phenomenon, scanning the crowd, you both envied and loathed Hatter's charisma. You stayed until Hatter's car was too far to be distinguishable, and the people had started filing back inside.

Walking in, you saw Kuina leaning against a pillar.

"Kuina!"

She turned to you, and unexpectedly, her expression fell even further. "Hey..."

You cocked your head, noticing she didn't look too great, "what's wrong?"

She shook her head, plastering a smile on her face, "no...it's nothing. How are you?"

"Better than you, apparently," you tried your best to look trustworthy, "it's okay, you can tell me what's bothering you."

She bit her lip, "it's just...did Chishiya talk to you?"

Ah, you understood now. Kuina felt guilty because Chishiya probably told her he was gonna talk you into becoming bait. You had to hold back a smile at the prospect that she cared enough about you to not rest well knowing you might be in danger.

"Yeah he did. He said some pretty weird stuff, so I blew him off."

Her expression immediately cleared, "you blew him off?"

"Mhm. I know not to trust that slimy rat. I walked away after telling him not to involve me in his shit."

She burst out laughing, and after a couple seconds, you followed along. With a grin on her face, she pulled you into a hug. You tensed for a moment, before relaxing and wrapping your arms around her.

You two stayed like that for a couple moments, before pulling apart.

"Better?" You asked her.

"Yep." She then glanced at the clock, "ah, sorry Y/n, I gotta go."

"No problem, see ya."

"Bye."

With that, she turned and sped off. You suddenly felt lonely. Should you go bother someone? Before you could progress with that thought, Arisu called out to you.

"Y/n!"

You spotted Arisu –along with Karube and Usagi– and grinned, suddenly happy you had company.

"Yes?"

His expression seemed pretty serious, so you schooled yourself to show that you were listening.

Glancing at Usagi and Karube, he nodded, "we need to talk to you about something."

You blinked, getting more concerned now, "in private?"

They nodded, and Karube looped his arms around your shoulders, "we're gonna go to Arisu's room."

You hummed an affirmative and let him drag you along.