Chapter 9 - Ann's POV

The first time Ann saw you, she didn't think much of you. Average height, average weight, average everything. However she noticed the moment you laid eyes on her, an inexplicable happiness could be seen in your expression.

She was puzzled, baffled even, because how could someone she had never seen before be happy to see her?

And from then your actions got even weirder. You cussed under your breath and she understood every word. Careful to school her expression, she wondered how a foreigner ended up here.

You seemed so calm, being kidnapped. And she caught you laughing to yourself more than once or twice. The more she watched, the more confusing you got. You were a puzzle, with each puzzle piece suggesting a different scenery that left Ann wondering what the final product would look like.

Thing was, Ann wasn't new to unsolvable puzzles. She couldn't even start to think about the puzzle that was Chishiya Shuntaro. Thus, she had no qualms in pushing you to the back of her mind and just letting you do you.

That was before she saw you during a game, though.

She watched as you frowned the water rapidly climbing your legs, completely and utterly ignoring the instructions and clear conditions.

To say she was confused was an understatement, she was flabbergasted.

In a heartbeat you had saved a girl's life, shouting at her not to touch the wires. Ann hadn't even noticed, but you did.

And consider her astonishment when you had immediately figured out a solution, Arisu sharing the same brain cell and you two had cleared the game in record time.

Potential? Ann was an expert in spotting potential in others, seeing how far they'll go before they drop dead, but she couldn't figure you out.

Were you just super smart? Yes, that could be it. But then you would do an incomprehensible dumb action that would make her question herself. It was like your intelligence only shone in games. She didn't know what to do with that.

You were a puzzle, and Ann was so confused she didn't even know if she wanted to piece you together.