Chapter 25

Marina Vettle

The door of my room opened, and revealed a nurse, who was pushing a cart full of food, and followed by a doctor, who was holding the door for the nurse. "Hello, Marina." The doctor smiled at me. "Good morning, Mr. Liotti." He nodded, respectfully to Giovanni's direction.

He hadn't left my side ever since I woke up. The only moments he had left was to take showers, and he usually left when I was still asleep, and to take care of some of his... Work.

We still hadn't discussed anything, but assured me that the moment I was given the green flag to leave, we would talk about it more calmly.

"So, looking how you have advanced during these past few weeks, and now having the confirmation of your acceptance in the hospital, we are going to be introducing some food slowly, while we take the feeding tube away. If your body reacts well, you will be good to go very soon." The doctor explained with a smile, while the nurse pushed the cart closer to the bed. "We will leave you some privacy, and when you finish press the button and we will check how you reacted." He said, while opening the door.

When I was passed out, taking in my physical condition, the doctors decided that I would be more beneficial if I fed from a tube for some time.

Giovanni stood up, and walked next to me, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He pulled me closer to him, while rubbing my back. He kissed the top of my head.

I just stared at the food, not having one bit of hunger. I didn't want it. I felt tears threatening to escape my eye. "Take your time, Tesoro." He whispered, while he kept me close to him. "Do you want me to help you?" He asked.

I just nodded, not having the strength to look at him in the pathetic state I was.

"Marina, there is nothing to be ashamed of, ok?" He brushed a tear off my cheek. He took the spoon, and filled it up with the purée, and brought it closer to my mouth. "Come, Tesoro, you can do this." He encouraged me. "Just one, ok?" I nodded, and opened my mouth. I kept it in my mouth for a bit, before swallowing it. "There you go," he exclaimed. "I knew you could do it." He kissed my cheek. "Do you want to try the chicken?" He asked.

I nodded, looking at the chicken with not even one spice. I hated hospital food. It was so tasteless. Giovanni cut a very small piece, knowing that if I tried a bigger one, I wouldn't be able to eat it.

He handed me the fork, and sat on the edge. I stared down at the colourless chicken and slowly brought it to my mouth.

I slowly chewed it, taking some breaks, to take deep breaths. I swallowed it, and looked up at Giovanni. He looked down at me, smiling. He kissed my forehead, and cut another piece, leaving it from the plate for me to take it when I was ready.

......

"Good news." The doctor came in with a smile on his face. "According to the results, and how your body has reacted to the food we have been giving you for the past few days, we will be able to take the feeding tube out, and you will be free to go in some more days." He explained. "You are closer to getting to the finish line, Marina." He smiled. "The procedure will be in a few minutes, and then after you are cleaned you will be given some liquids, and some purée, and we will introduce the solids later, little by little." He explained, and after making sure everything was ready, he left the room.

The moment the door closed, it opened again, revealing Giovanni, in a white shirt, and dress pants. His dark hair was styled in a messy, but professional way. He had two strands of hair falling over his face. He closed the door, and smiled when he saw me admiring his beauty.

"Good morning, Tesoro." He smiled, kissing my cheek. "Did you wake up long ago?" He asked, as he left his jacket from the suit, and his coat carefully on the back of the chair. I shook my head, making him nod. "I saw the doctor walking out, what did he want?" He asked, frowning.