Chapter 2

Averick's POV
-
God damn that bitch! How dare he get me, alpha, in trouble!

I slammed my door shut, snarling. I was just wanting to test my position as alpha, and he just sits there and throws it back into my face that I'm not an alpha yet! I might as well be!

Looking into the my mirror that was in my bathroom, I just stared in horror. My eyes were a golden color mixed with red, and I can see the features of my inner wolf showing through. What have I become? My wolf was starting to take over me.

Dominate!

My wolf's voice echoed in my head so loud that I had to lean against the bathroom sink to stop myself from stumbling. I held my hands to my temples.

"Stop it! You aren't going to take over just because I'm the new alpha!" I growled to my wolf, which it just looked like I was talking to myself.

Show who's boss to impress mate tomorrow...

My wolf growled lowly, and I looked back into the mirror. I had almost forgotten about meeting my mate tomorrow. Technically I don't turn 18 until 7pm tomorrow, but I will still be alpha. All I have to do is find my Luna.

I fixed myself up for bed after a warm shower to calm my nerves. A quick look in the mirror and I saw that my eyes and facial features were normal again. Letting out a relaxed sigh, I headed to my bed and laid down.

"I can't wait to find my mate tomorrow..."

Neither can I.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was awoken by my little sister jumping up and down on me in the morning. My mom was holding some pancakes that the omega made and my father held a bag of new clothes he had gotten for me for today.

"Happy Birthday!" They all said in unison and I smiled broadly at all three of them.

I sat up quickly and hugged my sister as I jumped out of bed. I kissed my moms cheek as I set my sister down and then hugged my dad. I grabbed the bag and the plate and disappeared into the bathroom excitedly.

TODAY IS THE DAY!

I could barely control myself that I ate way to fast and almost puked. I sat on the edge of the tub and calmed myself down before getting dressed. I ran out, stopping by the kitchen and tossing the plate towards the omega who was still making breakfast for everyone. Good thing he caught it, or I would have punished him.

Speaking of the omega... Did anyone really know his name or anything? I don't think he's even a werewolf. Does he have a life other than the kitchen?

I sighed and stopped caring as I ran out of the house. I was greeted by my friends, my beta, Eric, and my delta, Quin. I've known them for my whole life, we grew up together. Then there was Tris, my girl friend and future Luna after 7pm. I already know she is my mate. She has to be. Right?

Do you smell anything yet from her?

No, nothing. But of course, we have to wait till after 7. It's not official till then.

Good point, theres still a chance!

I smiled broadly and let a howl rip through me as I shifted to my wolf. Thankful for being alpha, my clothes morphed with me, but the others, they just slipped right out of their clothes as they shifted. I was pure black with pure golden eyes, and of course, being alpha, I was larger than all of the rest.

Taking off into the woods, I could hear the others following behind me, echoing my howl as they did. Today was going to be fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was after the party and I was heading to the lake to see what my friends had planned for me. They had told me they had a surprise for me already planned, and Tris is the one that planned it. As I walked down the trail towards the lake, I checked the time on my watch and smiled.

7:05pm

I was finally and alpha, and I can find my mate!

As soon as the thought flashed through my mind, a sweet vanilla scent entered my senses, making my wolf howl for want.

MATE!

I walked faster, following the scent until I stopped at the lake's shore. There I saw Tris waiting for me, and my heart skipped a beat. Tris really what my mate! I walked towards her to kiss her, but my wolf snarled. The scent wasn't coming from her. I looked around and Tris gently laid her hand on my arm.

"Babe, what's up? You're just in time for your surprise!" She smiled.

"Uh... Yeah, thanks." I was slightly distracted as I looked around, trying to see if anyone else was here.

"Remember that omega bitch that you said you were pissed off at? Well as your future mate, I have a surprise." Tris giggled and then turned me towards the lake before I could say she wasn't my mate. Then my wolf seemed to snarl and I was in action as I heard a gut wrenching scream as I saw a body be flung from the cliff that was a few feet high above the lake. My eyes turned golden and I pushed Tris out of the way as I went and dove into the water.

MY MATE IS IN TROUBLE!

My wolf screamed within me, trying to get control of me, but I wouldn't let him. I saw the girl resurface, coughing and screaming for help as she struggled to stay above the water. She couldn't swim! When I was close enough, I dove and wrapped my arm around her before swimming to the surface. Sparks rang through my body as soon as I came into contact with her body. She was pretty small compared to me. I swam to shore with her in my grasp as she coughed and sputtered water out of her mouth and then clung to me. She panted heavily and she let me go when we reached the shore, causing my wolf to whine, but I stopped it. Her skin was pale and looked silky smooth, even though she was soaked to the bone. She shivered and then trembled as she started to cry.

Hearing her cry caused my wolf to break apart and I pulled the frail body against mine, hugging her close and trying to sooth her. At first I felt her relax and I looked down at her. She looked beautiful just from behind. Her pure white hair flowed down the sides of her face. Speaking of her face, I wanted to see it.

"A beautiful girl like you shouldn't cry..." I said softly as I grasped her chin to start to make her look at me, but before I could even see her face, I was met with a stinging sensation across my face. Did my mate just... slap me? Before I knew it, my mate had shifted to her wolf form, which was a pure white wolf with red eyes before she bounded off as quick as she could back towards the pack house.

Tris ran over, eyes wide. "Oh baby! Are you okay?! Why did you go after the ome-" She stopped when I glared at her and snarled.

"You aren't my mate. She was." I snarled and then shifted, going after the she-wolf.

Once I made it to the house, I looked around. People were everywhere and I could barely tell where the scent had gone. My father walked over to me, frowning and I realized people were staring at me. I was soaked and dripping water everywhere.

"Averick what happened?" He asked, looking puzzled.

All I did was look at him, and I guess the look I gave him answered his question.

"You found your mate... Didn't you?" He smiled broadly and I nodded slowly as I looked around frantically.

"I can't find her! Where did she go?"

"Who is she?" He asked, grasping my shoulders to snap me back into concentration.

"I don't know, but dad, she was so beautiful. Pure white hair, slim body, and pale skin that was silky smooth to the touch." I seemed to gush with admiration and love until I saw the look my dad gave me.

"Was it the omega?" He asked, and when I nodded, he glanced at my mom.

My mom seemed to nod and disappeared within the crowd. What was going on? Why are they all of a sudden silent?

"Go on with the party and enjoy it, we'll find... her..." He smiled and I was pulled back by my beta and delta who started to ask a lot of questions.

I wanted to find my mate myself, but I guess it had to wait till there wasn't so many people around me.

I need my mate.