Chapter Three

Though he didn't want to leave her, he wanted to be briefed on the new findings. Luckily enough, Y/N was tired from the long afternoon and the little amount of sleep she had the night before, so she excused herself to her room to rest.

After walking her to her room, he quickly made his way to Tony's lab where he knew the new information was waiting.

"I've seen her Tony," he overheard Nat. "I've talked with her and I've helped her settle here. She's not a threat."

"How can you be a hundred percent certain?" Tony sighed in frustration.

"Before you make any rash decisions, get Barnes in here. He has been with her more than anyone else. He would know if she-"

"If she what?" Bucky interrupted, stepping into the room and seeing Steve also there, but quietly processing on the sidelines. "What's going on?"

When he made eye contact with Steve, he could tell the information found was not something they planned on coming across.

Ignoring the intrusion, Tony continued talking to Nat.

"She was in that room, was she not?"

"That doesn't mean-," Nat continued to argue.

"Was she in the room or not?" Stark's words showed impatience.

There was a pause as Nat glared at him. "You know she was."

"Then she's exactly what we went in for. And instead of destroying the weapon, we brought it home," Stark concluded.

"We aren't going to destroy an innocent," Steve spoke up, emphasizing on his use of destroy. "She was strapped to a table and incapacitated. If she was the weapon we thought she was, she would have done away with Barnes and me the second she saw us."

"Weapon?" Bucky questioned, knowing who they were talking about. "You can't possibly expect her to be the weapon we went in for," his laugh had no humor behind it. Stark rolled his eyes. "That weapon you're talking of was labeled as carcinogenic and inexterminable. Exact words from the case file. I don't know if you noticed, but she's on edge at a pen dropping and she got a black eye from sleeping last night. It's hard to list that type of person as harmful, let alone lethal."

He made a decent argument. So much so that the room stayed silent as his teammates allowed Tony to process the accusations he had made.

"How long have you known her for, Barnes?" Tony eventually spoke up.

Now it was Bucky's turn to roll his eyes.

"That doesn't matter," he answered in a low voice. "I know evil, and that girl is far from it."

"We don't know her enough to make that definite of a decision," Tony countered. "We can't let our walls down just because a beaten and broken, yet innocent-looking girl happened to need rescuing. You've been in the business long enough to know all the ways this could end for us."

"But it's exactly that, Tony," Steve sided with Bucky. "We know from experience that just because someone is handled by the wrong people, doesn't necessarily mean that they are at a point of no return."

The example he was meaning, was standing behind him ready to fight for this girl just as Steve had for him.

Tony sighed, seeing that his perspective on this case wasn't going to be heard by this group.

"I didn't bring all this up to start a fight," he said with a deep breath, moving around the table he was positioned behind. "I brought it up to give us new insight on the case. If, and I stress the if on this," he pointed to Steve. "If she is on our side, we need to figure out what all she's capable of."