Chapter Twenty-Eight

She knew Bucky had understood what her plan was, but his looked showed a clear objection to it. She made the shield in front of him soundproof after that because if she heard any more of his screams, she knew she wouldn't be able to do what she needed. She would fold if she even looked in Bucky's direction.

Harrow was looking around him in the few seconds he had been unprotected now. He was looking for anything to make him feel safer, but he knew it wouldn't be in the cards.

"I get it now," Y/N said to him and he looked at her slowly. He was defeated, but he was too cocky of a man to show it. "Why you're so desperate." She spit the last words like the insult it was.

He didn't give her any reaction besides a tight jaw and a tense stance.

"You tried to recreate me, but you couldn't work out the flaws..."

She said through her teeth, fighting back the anger that was pushing to break out of her and take control. But she wanted to drag this out as much as she could.

She motioned her hand to where the teenager continued to lay unconscious but never looked away from him.

"It's pathetic really," she collected herself some and brought her other hand out to pull Harrow closer to him, and in a snap, he was a mere 2 feet in front of her and his fear was no longer hidden. "You had me on a platter for years, and you still couldn't put a formula together. Can you really call yourself a scientist after that?"

Her nose twitched as the anger built up at what she had come to all because of a selfish low-life that was now powerless in front of her. And she didn't even have the time to enjoy the pain she was capable of returning to him.

He had yet to say a word. He was completely motionless in the hold she had on him and she could feel the fear that was coursing through him.

"Just imagine. Everything you're feeling is nothing compared to what you've done to others," she squeezed her hand that was keeping her hold on him and he grunted in pain as his chest tightened.

A part of her wanted to continue the pain, but what would separate herself from him if she did that?

A breeze came through and it was like a small part of the real world was trying to ground her again and it worked. She cleared her mind of the rage that was taking over and threw him to the ground with a force that would keep him there.

"But unfortunately we live in a world where there are worse monsters out there than you... And all the powerless will never stop coming for the powerful, no matter how idiotic of a plan that may be." She turned slowly to him and stood over him. "But no one else will get the chance to finish what you started. Your work was pointless and all for nothing, and you're going to live a long and imprisoned life knowing that."

Though the fear in him still burned strong, she saw how her comment changed the script.

She was going to let him live, but someone else would have to be sacrificed for her words to be true.

"No," he mumbled, knowing where she was going. "You can't. You wouldn't." He stammered and his eyes grew.

"No one will ever have access to the power you did. Not in this lifetime at least," she said softly, yet definitely.

"You do it and you lose everything," he said attempting to scramble to his feet, but she pushed him back down with her powers.

"As long as I live... As long as I am who I am, having everything will never be an option for me." She turned her head sideways as a tear slipped down her cheek. "And it's monsters like you that will always make sure that's the case."