Chapter Twenty-Five

A/N: I think we have about 2ish more chapters left of this series and we will be wrapping it up. Also, I've decided to take a different route on the ending, but I'm excited to see what you all think of it :) Enjoy! XOXOXO 

________________________________________________________________________________

Within the next 5 minutes, the boys were suited up and running down the stairs to the basement until the generator finally had the elevators back up.

When they got downstairs, it was pure chaos. It was five in the morning, and the sun wasn't coming up in another hour or so.

"Those three put them in the cell," Tony pointed to a group of men who were bound by a rope and fought against it. "Keep it secure. As soon as we find others, we'll make it a holding room for them."

"Other what?" Bucky asked, seeing Y/N pacing and looking as if her mind was in 100 places at once. "What happened?"

"Mind-control. Don't know how or when, but the three in there were the reason for the power outage. Y/N says there could be more, but hard to spot them since they blend in," Tony answered, scanning through security footage he had up on a screen.

Bucky and Steve looked at the three and noticed they blended in with SHIELD uniforms. No wonder they didn't see anything coming.

"There's another mutant that has mind control powers. She's strong too. She's the reason Gabriel was acting the way he was," Y/N interrupted, stepping over to the men with her arms crossed and her hand under her chin as she processed things.

"You think she got to them?" Bucky asked, watching her intently.

"If I remember correctly, she has to have physical contact. How long have those three been working here?" she asked Tony.

Tony pulled up their backgrounds in half a second.

"Two have been here for a week and a half and one for 6 months," Tony scanned the information.

"That confirms it," Y/N nodded, with a long sigh. "She must have been on the grounds at some point."

"Someone like that can get in and out without being noticed," Wanda spoke up, coming from another table of security footage, Nat close behind. "Make people forget she was even here."

"Do you think the others were mind controlled or were just undercover?" Nat asked.

"Either way they're here and they got step one of their plan completed. Whatever they did, the system is taking a second to reboot," Tony answered. "What would normally take a few minutes is taking at least 20."

"I'm going to do a perimeter check," Y/N announced, moving to the door.

"Whoa, whoa," Bucky caught her by the arm and she looked down at it and back at him almost offended.

The look alone showed him, he didn't know nearly enough of what was going on to be trying to put himself in commanding shoes, but he wasn't comfortable with her just wandering on her own even if she had her memories back for the most part and could fend for herself. He still saw her as the brittle and quiet version although she had proven that wasn't at all who she was now.

"I'll come with you guys," Nat spoke up. "Best to have backup where you can."

Y/N held back a chuckle but didn't show it. A few days ago, she would have needed the extra help. Today, she was confident that she was their protector instead of the other way around.

Though she was appreciative of the team effort, a part of her knew she was capable of protecting herself more than them thanks to her memories flooding back and giving her a glimpse of her using them. But another part of her still wasn't convinced she could actually do them. I mean she was in a trance for the majority of the times she used them, and it was still her and she still had the muscle memory, but doing it with the mind she had now made her uneasy.