01 | Beginning

Summer is the most perfect season that every teenager looks forward too.

From the late-night talks, campfires, first kiss, running wild, and everything in between.

But most of all it's about having fun with the people you cherish the most, either there it be family or just a group of friends.

"Draw two, Justin," said Ezra dropping down a plus two on top of the never-ending deck of uno cards.

"Aw, c'mon I was this close to winning this round" replied Justin breathing out a sigh of frustration, chewing the inside of his mouth.

"It's, okay you'll get him next round I'm sure of it" chimed in Mikayla laying down on my lap, casting a sympathetic glance towards Justin.

"Oh, please draw four and uno out!" I announce getting off the hard carpet floor and having a much-needed stretch.

The living room has family photos along the walls, a giant big screen tv, and some embarrassing photos of me that my mother refuses to hide away.

I stroll over into the kitchen grab an empty glass and fill it up with some water. Slowly relaxing my body against the coolness of the bar stool.

"Wait, where are we going for the summer?" asks Justin casting a wide glance at all of us in the room.

"Can't we just hang out down the shore like we always do, it'll be just like old times" suggests Mikayla popping a cherry-flavored lollipop between her soft lips.

"What about you Ezra, what do you think?" I ask after taking the last sip of water and sitting it down on a coaster on top of the marble countertop.

Watching the bright sunlight make faint shadows throughout the living room and the kitchen.

Ezra lazily slouches into the couch, letting out a long yawn while constantly annoying Mikayla and getting a kick out of it.

"Hm? Honestly I'm fine with whatever you guys choose" answered Ezra pulling his hoodie over his head and crossing his arms over his chest.

"I might have a suggestion, we could spend our last summer together at my family-owned beachouse in Cedarview" I stated with such clarity and much conviction.

The words I thought would never leave my mouth, until now this year it wasn't just another summer this is the only one we were ever gonna be together again.

"What?! Your family owns a beach house and you never told us!! I am deeply offended" Justin crosses his arms and shakes his head in disbelief.

"Well, Skylar, I'll let you know that right there was a major secret do you have any pictures?" Mikayla got up from a lazy pose and striding into the kitchen hopping into the stool next to me.

"Yeah, I do"

I quickly grab my phone from my back pocket, select the photos app, and set it to the date JUNE 15,2019.

A whole gallery of photos popping up on my phone screen, most of them showing off beautiful views of the beach, boardwalk, and the best food spots there.

Feeling the presence of  Justin, Mikayla, and Ezra crowding around me trying to get the best view of everything possible.

"So do you guys have any thoughts about this?" I asked placing my phone face down on the countertop and resting my chin on my hands.

"It seems like it's a decent place to enjoy our summer together and some fun activities to do" answered Mikayla scrolling through the website options on her phone screen reflecting off of her glasses.

We made this choice to enjoy our last summer because only god knows when we'll see each other again, and all it took was just one summer to do it.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

What are your thoughts on this chapter? I hope you guys enjoying it so far!

Do you guys have any predictions on how the story will end I love to hear them in the comments!!