17 | Imposing threat

The sunlight makes its presence poking through the blinds, and slip on my bunny slippers. I stifle a yawn and make my way to the outdoor patio.

I look out into the distance in hopes of increasing my mood, but now I feel just as numb, empty, and hollow from what took place last night.

I'm not okay, but it doesn't matter anymore and maybe it never will.

My body feels too tired as if I didn't get at least a couple of sleep.

I push open the sliding door and close it gently, entering the kitchen.

"What do you think the video is about?"Justin asked, quietly pointing to a video on his phone from a random phone number.

"I don't know it's a little weird to get something like this out of the blue" Mikayla added wearing an oversized hoodie with some sweatpants and her classic Converse.

Entering into the kitchen, I ignore the whispers and hushed conversation between Justin and Mikayla.

Ezra leans against the kitchen counter with his red hoodie and grey sweatpants, slightly covering his Roman numeral tattoo above his pelvic area.

I cast a glance at Ezra, his eyes red from either tiredness or stress. His right eye is bloodshot, which is a weird sight to see.

I put down my cup of iced coffee on the counter, it's not as good as Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts but it's better than nothing.

Taking a sip, breathe in and out while letting out a shaky breath.

Pressing my hands around the coolness of the glass cup and Ezra shuffles a bit closer, but leaves enough distance between us.

"You guys should show Skylar the video," Ezra said now facing Justin and Mikayla.

"Okay, Skylar take a look at this video" Mikayla added, pushing her phone towards me, screen unlock, and a random phone number.

Mikayla, Justin, and Ezra huddle around me at the kitchen table and I press play.

A distorted voice rings throughout the video, while the photos of me in a juvenile detention uniform and mugshot.

But the last photo catches my attention, me and an old friend named Maddie Preston making silly faces with my face crossed out in a big X.

"I bet your friends didn't know you went to juvie." the distorted voice rings out into the distance.

And the video stops. I feel Mikayla's narrowed stare, Justin playing with his loose curls, and Ezra's eyes still glued to the phone screen.

"What did you go to juvie for?" said Mikayla her voice tight and sharp, her eyes never leaving mine patiently waits for an answer.

The tension in the air shifts. It's thick and heavy it feels like someone is pressing down, on my lungs wanting every bit of oxygen to leave my body.

Breathe in and breathe out I can trust them, right? Nothing should backfire from this.

"It's complicated, but the girl in the last photo was an old friend of mine named Maddie Preston" I pause. "Whenever we were together it felt like nothing could stop us."

"What do you mean? Can't you give us more information?!" Mikayla insisted tilting her head at my answer and her face twists in confusion and annoyance.

"I'm sure that Skylar had a reason to not tell us this stuff" Justin paused. "Maybe she felt like she'd be judged or looked at differently," Justin suggested with a serious expression on his face which felt unnatural to witness.

Ezra's eyebrows raise in pure amusement at Justin's words and nods in agreement, drums his fingers on the counter.

"I think all of us should be patient with Skylar and if she decides to share her past, it'll be on her terms" Ezra states pushing up his round glasses toward his face.

"I don't think keeping secrets from your friends is a good idea" replied Mikayla muttering under her breath leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs.

Authors note

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter what are your thoughts?

What line in this chapter is your favorite and why?