10 | Power play

The faint shadows of the sunlight dances across the walls, down to the cherrywood floors of the patio.

My childhood bunny slippers always gave me comfort, whenever I need them too.

With a fresh cup of decaf and lazily relaxing on the living room couch.

I turn up the volume with the TV remote and sit back.

"Breaking news Cedarview, police have found the body of a teenager on William's beach late last night, if anyone has any information please call this number on the screen," said the reporter into the camera for the viewers, but gave a slight glance to her coworker.

Set down the coffee mug on the coaster and shuffle over to the front window.

The loud sounds of the police sirens, local news channel van, and caution tape stretch across the crime scene.

My body leans against the kitchen counter cool underneath my skin.

In the background, the sunset slowly morphs into the ominous night sky with little specs of stars.

"Hey, what are you looking at?" asked Ezra his voice raspy and a bit tired from waking up so late.

"The police are blocking off the beach, because they have found a dead body" I replied without looking in his direction, my eyes stare at the chaotic scene outside the window.

Ezra paces over to the kitchen counter beside me, crosses his arms, and looks in the direction with his circular glasses.

A sudden burst of footsteps thunder from the staircase, with Mikayla and Justin in the most comfy pajamas.

The TV is left on in the living room, but for now it's background noise just another distraction for a moment or two.

"Hey, you should know that people are making speculations about this" Mikayla paused. "Look"

She hands me her phone, it's open to the Cedarview Instagram account with floods of replies, and comments.

My finger hovers over a few responses, that catch my attention.

               ☞︎ 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

Angelface503: It's a shame what happened to this girl Justice will prevail!

Justin53: Honestly, whatever happened to this girl it was probably what she deserved. Who knows lol 😆

@Justin53: You shouldn't be joking about someone's that's lost their life.

TylerJones5: Sending prayers to the victim and family at this time.

Jenna_baby27: Maybe this girl was probably fake and finally got what she deserved 🤭

Justin53: Finally, someone sees from my point of view.

After looking through the countless comments, I hand Mikayla back her phone, and pull out a magazine from the drawer called Tony's Pizzeria.

Quickly dial the phone number, and wait for the line to pick up. A long hum keeps its ring over and over again.

"Hello?" said the employee on the other line answered.

"Hey, can I have one medium cheese pizza, buffalo wings, and one large ginger ale" I announced to the employee on the phone.

"Okay, would you want your order for pickup or delivery?" questioned the employee with distant sounds of ovens beeping, pans , and other employees talking in the background.

"Delivery is fine, thank you" I chimed in.

"Can you please give me your address?" replied the employee her voice kind a little distant from the phone.

"My address is 110 Chester Road after the entrance of William's Beach" I answered pressing my phone close to my right ear.

"Alright, your order should take twenty minutes to arrive have a good night!" announced the employee.

"You too!" The phone line keeps them goes dead and slide my phone in my back pocket.

"Yes! It's pizza night and I'm gonna pick a movie for us to watch" announced Justin grinning from ear to ear and throws himself onto the couch.

"Ew, please get your disgusting feet out my face," said Mikayla giving Justin a mean side eye and whacks his feet away from her.

"Sorry, my feet aren't dirty I took a shower earlier so they're perfectly clean" replied Justin sticking out his tongue out in defiance.

"Whatever you say Justin" responded Mikayla rolling her eyes and covers her feet with a soft blanket.

A hard knock at the door, and I run over to it as fast as possible. I take the brown bag and Mikayla takes the hot pizza box.

"Here," I said handing the employee some tip money for the delivery.

"Thank you" responded the employee went down the steps, and into the delivery car.

All of us smush up together on the couch and Justin still has not found a movie for us to watch yet.

"So... does anyone want to watch a romance movie?" asked Justin while everyone is sitting and looking for an option.

"Not really in the mood for butterflies, can't we watch a horror movie they have good jump-scares" replies Mikayla sitting up in a good posture, her hair up in a messy bun.

"No thank you, I'd like to eat my food without being paranoid" added Ezra.

After a few petty arguments and compromises, we finally chose a movie for the night.

Sometimes in life, it's better to have a good moment with friends, than make it into a big deal.

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 ♡︎

𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨! 𝐌𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐢 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐬.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, and share this story!