22 | In memory

Grief, it's something that every human will experience in their lifetime, but I'm dealing with it my own way.

Sitting around the fire as its beautiful flames dances to its own rhythm, while the faint echoes of the waves crash against the sand.

Ezra wears a sorrowful expression on his face, casting his eyes to the starry sky, and full moon brightly shining.

"Are you ready?" Ezra says, giving my hand a tight squeeze.

"Yes," I nod, but deep down I'm not ready, I was never ready to do something like this.

I take in a deep breath, close my eyes for a minute or more, and get off the long step in front of the fire, but away from the flames.

"Dear Justin, you were someone who could light up the world light up with your personality, and the missing puzzle piece to this friend group" I paused.

"But, I'm grateful for the time you had with us on earth may your soul fly high in the heavenly sky."

Throwing away the handwritten letter into the fire, burns the piece of paper into dark ash causing bellows of smoke in the air.

"You know that Justin would've said that was too sappy and so depressing of you" Mikayla replied, wiping away a few tears from her eyes.

"Actually, you're right but I'm glad that I could do something to remember him," I say, watching a figure coming towards us.

"What?" Ezra says, turning his head in the direction of where my eyes stare.

"Who is it?" I say, narrowing my eyes in the darkness of the night.

"Don't worry, it's just me" Danielle says, wearing a red shirt, short jeans, and a pair of sandals.

Mikayla, Ezra, and I give each other a knowing look and stare at Danielle as the flames crackle with impatience.

"What do you want" Mikayla barks, her voice sharp, tense, and slightly annoyed with the sudden presence of Danielle.

"Actually, could you leave Danielle now is not the time," I say, standing in front of her with some space between us.

"Fine, but Skylar we need to talk sooner than later," Danielle says, turning on her heel and disappearing off the beach.

Author's note

How was everyone's Christmas break? I hope it went well and even if it didn't I send you free air hugs.

I have so many goals for the new year! Do you guys have any goals for 2024?