13 | Caution

The gentle waves on the beach roll and soak the patches of sand.

The moonlight's shadow follows me and Ezra's shadows, as I hold on tightly to my huge teddy bear that takes over my whole face.

In the front window, there are two silhouettes of Mikayla and Justin dancing, yelling lyrics at the top of their lungs, without a care in the world.

Ezra stops and puts his ear close to the front door.

"Wait...are they playing our playlist that we made freshman year?" asked Ezra, his eyebrow quirks up in amusement and a faint smile creeps in.

"Well you should thank me for coming up with a creative dare" I paused. "After all it was all my idea."

"Oh really? How do you want to be rewarded?" Ezra teases, taking a couple of steps forward.

I rest the teddy bear on the steps of the patio and take a step back away from Ezra. My heart rate beats rapidly and I can't stop it even if I want to.

Now, it's just us. The moonlight casts its shadow over us, and the breeze gently blows the strands of my ash blonde hair.

A wild scream erupts and Ezra grabs my hand. We end up behind the beachouse, hold our breath, and wait in the overwhelming silence in the depths of the night.

A police officer and his partner flash their flashlights around wildly, and quickly pass over me and Ezra stands still with a little hint of fear.

"Are you alright?" questioned Ezra, his face a couple of inches away from mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine now let's go inside the beachouse" I replied carefully coming out of my hiding spot.

The patio steps creak under the slight pressure of my sneakers. Me and Ezra slip through the open space of the front door, and let it slam on its strong hinges.

I flick on the nearest light switch and Mikayla turns down the volume, while Justin's breath heaves and crowds of sweat fill his brow.

"Okay, that's enough dancing for one night I'm never doing that again," said Justin breathlessly throws himself on the couch and closing his eyes for a while.

"Me too, all of my muscles ache and feel a bit numb" replies Mikayla with a few dyed strands of hair sticking to her forehead.

"You guys were dancing like those inflatable things" added Ezra covering his laugh with his hand.

I shapely elbow Ezra is his side and grimace grabs it, and also gives me a look.

"What was that for?" asked Ezra double downs in slight pain and gives a sideways glance in my direction.

"Mikayla and Justin were just having the time of their lives, they don't look like those inflatable things at all" I replied going straight to the refrigerator and grabbing a couple of cold water bottles.

Ezra opens a window near the right corner of the living room, then he comes over to where I am and takes the extra water bottles.

"Here," said Ezra, tossing the two water bottles to Mikayla and Justin.

"Thanks," said Mikayla catching hers and takes a quick swing of cool water.

While Justin rests his water bottle on top of his forehead, and relaxes further into the soft fabric of the couch.

"We could play Sharaides or another uno match," I said sitting up and casts my eyes at everyone lying on the couch.

"I want a rematch with Ezra because he cheated last time, and it's not fair" replied Justin folding his arms and gives Ezra a side-eye look.

"Excuse me?! I played that uno match fair and square I didn't cheat" added Ezra leaning against the door frame and looking over to Justin's face.

The flash on the back of my phone lights up the dining room table, and unlock it with the Face ID.

The same random number with an attachment of photos, from today all of us at the ice cream shop, me and Ezra at that booth with the older man, also Justin and Mikayla dancing together in the living room.

"Skylar?" called Ezra

I train my shocked expression to go completely blank, and pretend that I didn't see anything that could cause alarm.

Because they don't need to know, they can never know who this is...

I put down my phone and put on a brave face for them to see.

"Let's play" I respond

AUTHOR NOTE

hi! Guys I deeply apologize for this late update life has been just life.

But I can try my best to upload whenever I can find the time to do so.

So...please bear with me folks and for those of you who have been patiently waiting for this update.
I wanna say thank you so much!

Do you guys like longer chapters or short ones please let me know!