Chapter 5

"Talk to yourself like someone you love"– Brene Brown

– Brene Brown

I sat in the luxurious waiting room, my hands sweating and my throat drying out while waiting in a room filled with girls that looked like Instagram models with a bunch of office work experience, while I sat here with my waitressing experience and an almost empty resume.

When I came to Newyork a week ago, I promised myself that I'd turn my life around, to start new, to become someone my parents would be proud of. And just then I came across the job application for an assistant in a multi-million company.

Before coming here I did a little research on the company. They do a bunch of different projects. For starters they hold events for almost all well know Corporations in Newyork, and they do it all, from finding a place to decorating to catering. And not only that, they make their own wine, and it's one of the best sellers.

And to add up to that, they own a large chain of hotels and not just in Newyork but also in Spain, Italy and Greece.

The Pierce Corporation. I've always loved their buildings, not that I ever set a foot in one but if their exterior is that good, you can only imagine how spectacular the interior would be.

And I know it's a one in a million shot but I had to take it, I couldn't risk letting this golden opportunity slip out of my hands.

So here I am, sweating myself to death, because everyone that walked into that office came out crying and balling their eyes out. What's even going on in there? Is the boss really that harsh?

Well there's no backing out now, I've already spent a good amount of my cash on trying to get something appropriate to wear for the interview.

Now it was just me and another girl left in the waiting room. She looked pretty confident and it only made me nervous. In situations like these people look for confidence and I don't have any. What was I even thinking when I decided to apply for this job?!

"Mr. Knight will see you now" the receptionist spoke and the girl stood up, fixed her long pencil skirt and walked towards the office.

It's ok Delilah, just take deep breaths–

My self talk was interrupted when that girl stormed out of the office, crying. I can't do this, I'm doomed, I'll be leaving this building crying just like all the other candidates.

"You're up next" the receptionist told me with a pitiful look in her eyes and I gulped.

My heart beat was rising up and the ringing in my ears was starting to get real loud. Get yourself together Delilah, you can't have a panic attack, not here, not right now.

Pulling myself together I pushed myself off the chair and dragged myself towards the office and hesitantly knocked on the door.

I waited a couple minutes but heard nothing from the other side of the door except for some mumbling.