Chapter 31

"I have cried all my tears, all that is left now is anger"

"Thank you for covering for me Delilah, owe you one" my coworker, Sydney, spat out with a quick hug and shoved the keys into my hands before walking away.
Idon't remember her asking me to fill in for her, it's the 3rd time this week she's making me close up the diner. Every time I tried to confront her she always came up with excuses,
I

t was either that her grandmother needed to go to a doctor, her boyfriend broke his leg, then her boyfriend broke his other leg and a nose in some fight. Or someone she knew broke something. And I couldn't say no to her in any of these situations.

So I did what I always do, I filled in for her, ignoring the fact that I saw her boyfriend drive by to pick her up, with roses and chocolate. Valentine's day.
I used to love valentine's day. My dad would always cook dinner for my mom, always get her favorite flowers and chocolates.
And we'd always get ice cream to end the night with a walk around the park. Seeing them so in love always made me believe that's how love is, that it's fulfilling and warm, that love is the feeling of being home.
That's what I thought I had with Tyler, but I don't think love is the same for everyone, I think some people get the best part of it while some of us end up begging for the bare minimum.

What my parents had made me believe that once you're in love, you find your other half, someone you can spend your good and bad days with.
But Tyler showed me how wrong I was, how love isn't just about completing each other, love was a gamble of trust and with my luck, I wasn't surprised that I found Tyler.
This is our third valentine's day as couples and I know he's at some bar having another woman go down on him while I'm left here to work.

It was already late and I wasn't expecting any calls from him. The diner was empty, the last customer left 10 minutes ago and I was cleaning the last table when I heard a loud knock on the main door. I sigh and put the cloth down on the table and wipe my hands on the apron before walking towards the door.
Most of the time when people saw the lights on around this hour they dropped by to use a phone or the restroom or some even demanded for a meal this late at night. Dreading the outcome I put my hands on the glass door but to my surprise there was no one.
          I was about to walk away when my eyes fell on the big bouquet of black roses sitting next to a box of chocolate and a teddy bear.
My blood ran cold. This wasn't the first time I received an anonymous present like this.

This started 2 years ago, soon after I started working in this diner. At first it was just black roses in my locker, in my apron. I thought those were mistaken till a week later I found a note, neatly wrapped and tugged into my apron pocket.
I would've thought that it was a mistake if my name wasn't written on it. 'Have a nice day, Delilah' that's what the note said. I got so panicked that I ripped it to shreds and pretended that it never happened.