Chapter 9

"You're the artist of your own life

Don't hand the paintbrush to anyone
Else"

-Dr. Seuss

I spent hours arranging the task at hand. I was so engrossed in the computer that I didn't realise what the time was till my stomach growled loudly breaking my focus.

Dropping my eyes at the bottom right corner of the screen I checked the time and gasped when I realised that the lunch break was almost over.

I haven't had anything to eat since yesterday so I went against my better judgement and decided to grab a quick bite before continuing.

Stretching my arms and letting out a yawn I stood up and walked out of my office and my eyes fell on Mr Knight's office. Should I inform him?

My thoughts were interrupted with yet another growl in my stomach and I decided to go straight to the cafeteria.

~~~

When I reached the floor and got out of the elevator I could feel eyes on me, I could feel people staring and mumbling. I knew I didn't belong here, my style, my cheap clothes, me over all did not belong here.

Keeping my head low I walked further in the cafeteria trying to find an empty table.

"There she is!" I heard Issac's voice and turned my head in his direction to find him sitting on a table with another girl.

He smiled and waved me over to him and I took quick steps towards them and took the empty seat beside him and he caught me off guard when he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I let out a soft 'hi' that I'm not sure they heard or not.

"This is Delilah, Mr Knight's new assistant" Issac introduced me to her and she hissed slightly looking at me with pity.

"I heard he overwork his assistants that's why his old assistant's either resigned or got fired" she mumbled and it only increased my anxiety.

"I'm sure Delilah will stick around, don't scare her" Issac scolded his friend while she just shrugged and I nervously chuckled.

Issac pushed a tray of food infront of me and I looked at it confused.

"They have the best kimchi ramen here" he explained and I smiled at him.

"Thank you Issac" I thanked him and dug in, and like he said, they were the best kimchi noodles I have ever tried.

They were talking and joking around while I was busy swallowing my food and would momentarily laugh and pitch in their conversation. And surprisingly it didn't feel awkward or forced. And for the first time I felt normal.