My coworkers are bullying me

The following is an actual letter to the author. Identifying information has been removed.

 Identifying information has been removed

Dear Meghan,

I am continuing to be harassed at work by my school assistant principal, ostracized by all other teachers, and "slut" shamed for an incident that occurred 4 years ago during a manic episode. I am hoping you will reach back to me to guide me in whether I should file a lawsuit. The former principal started it, it has spread to all employees old and new, and is still being used to dictate how people speak to me and what work I am allowed to do. I am an award-winning teacher sitting in an empty classroom with no students. The district superintendent is also aware. As is all of Human Resources.

Sincerely,
My Coworkers Are Bullying Me

Sincerely,My Coworkers Are Bullying Me

Dear MCABM,

I am so sorry your coworkers are ostracizing you. Whatever took place during that manic episode four years ago was the result of your mental illness, and it's upsetting that the leadership in your school system is failing to advocate for you. You don't describe your past behavior that's being used against you now, but you mention you're in an empty classroom. It's important to remember, unfortunately, that many people who lack experience with mental illness also lack empathy for those of us who struggle with it. If you made anyone else feel unsafe during that episode, even four years later, it might feel impossible for them to work alongside you.

Regardless of the details leading up to it, the current situation you describe at your workplace is untenable. You're clearly unhappy, you're not being challenged, and you're not able to help the students you wish to help as a teacher. It's time for a huge change. Begin making plans to leave this school and start the search for a new opportunity, where your talents will be valued.

A lawsuit *might* be necessary if the administration tries to harm you financially as you exit, or if anyone sabotages your job hunt by spreading these rumors to other school systems. I suspect, though, that they have been trying to bully you out, and that you'll be able to make a clean break from this place. A fresh start awaits you.

In solidarity,
Meghan

Disclaimer: This advice column is for informational and entertainment purposes only. I'm not a licensed mental health professional and the advice provided is not intended to replace professional advice. Neither I nor Wattpad bears responsibility for any outcomes resulting from the advice given.