"Friendly" Snakes and Obtuse Realizations

By the time the second day rolls around, I'm antsy as fuck to get home to my woman

By the time the second day rolls around, I'm antsy as fuck to get home to my woman. I haven't spoken to her since the day I left and the longer I go, the deeper these nails anchor into my skin. Thankfully, there's only a few more boxes left to load in the back of David's truck and then we can get the fuck on the road.

It shocked me that Reggie was actually staying away long enough for us to get her packed up, but through the conversations I've had with Jerica these last two days, I learned he doesn't actually know she's leaving. He's been out of town the last week on business, but she found out the day that she called David that Reggie had been fucking around on her with his assistant, Erin, for the last four weeks. When I asked her how she found out, she explained how Erin called her right before they were about to fuck. She's assuming it happened without Reggie knowing because after she listened to the entire fuck session, Erin whispered she thought Jerica should know, and then hung up.

Jerica delivered the news so dry eyed I didn't know how to respond. I gave her a hug and told her he was a stupid motherfucker for cheating on her, but honestly, my mind has been so distracted with worry about Hayvin that I'm not able to give Jerica the attention she probably needs right now. 

David and Jerica are busy in another room, so I step outside for a minute. Hayvin is obviously still upset with me and isn't answering my calls, but I need to check in with her. The only person I can think of that might know anything is Everleigh and even if it might be a fifty-fifty chance with her, it's one I need to take if it'll get me in touch with my woman.

Pulling in a deep breath, I hit the phone icon next to Everleigh's name. I lean back against the side of the house as I wait for her to answer and my thoughts drift to Hayvin like they have since I left home. Her words haunt me. They chase after me, taunting me with the truth behind some of them, and I fucking hate it. I just wish I knew which words held the truth because I want to dispute every single one of them. There's something inside me that is telling me I'd be doing my woman a disservice if I did that, though.

"You're lucky, you fucking cunt nugget, that I'm answering your call right now. What the hell do you want?" Everleigh answers.

My eyebrows reach my hairline as I stare with wide eyes up at the sky and my mouth opens and shuts as I try to find something to say.

"Oh, come on. Don't be a little puss now, Alek. Actually, scratch that. It seems you're superb at not saying shit, so I can't say I'm surprised." 

This is the first time in three years that I've seen this side of Everleigh aimed at me and I'm stunned speechless. Each time I open my mouth to say something, shock renders me mute again. This is the side of Ever that I had hoped to never have to come face to face with because, if I'm honest, she's scary as fuck.