A Confrontation Long Overdue

The last thing I want to do right now is sit at a restaurant with David and Jerica

The last thing I want to do right now is sit at a restaurant with David and Jerica. From the elevator incident, though, I understand I need to confront my two best friends before resolving things with Hayvin.

It'd be better if we did this privately since these two are known for their...passionate natures when riled, but there's no way I was risking it getting back to Vin that I went somewhere private with Jerica.

That's a lesson I'm learning the tough way.

"Give me a second," I mutter, grabbing my phone and tossing my suit jacket in the booth.

I keep my head down as I walk toward the exit. Privacy can't be found in public, but I don't give a shit. I want to see if I can get Vin to answer my call now that I've gotten a new number. No one, and that includes Jerica, has got this new number. I debated on not giving it to David too, but while it was easier to cut Jerica out, he's harder. We've been through a lot of shit and he's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Our friendship is still straddling the line of dissolving though, depending on how this conversation goes.

I pull up Vin's number, hoping that since it's a new number, I'll finally get to hear her voice. After hitting the call icon, the ringtone squeals in my ear twice before it goes to voicemail, letting me know she declined the call.

Should have known she'd be too smart to answer an unknown number when we're not on talking terms. She won't risk that it's me on the other end.

Fucking sucks, but there's no one to blame here but me.

So, instead of talking to her, I speak to her voicemail.

"Hey," I start, clearing the awkwardness from my throat. "Um, can we talk? I know you really don't want to." I blow out a breath. "Fuck. I'm sorry, Hayvin. I know I keep saying that, but it's the truth. I fucked up, and it makes me an even bigger shit that I'm just now realizing how badly. I'm fixing it, okay? I'm trying, baby girl. Just...please, don't give up on me. Do what you have to do, just...don't do that. Please," I finish in a whisper.

The beep sounds in my ear, and then the automated voice comes on and goes over my options. After hitting the save option, I end the call and shove my phone in my pocket.

I stare blankly at the ground, my hand rubbing the back of my neck as I try to figure out how the hell I'm going to work on making this right if she refuses to talk to me. Hayvin has always had a stubborn streak. It's not something that's ever bothered me, but it's definitely working against me now.

Someone honks their horn, pulling me from my thoughts. A young male teenager is waving over a younger girl with curly brown hair. There's a clenching in my chest as I watch the radiant smile that creases her face when she runs over to meet him at the open door of his vehicle. When she jumps into his arms and he twirls her around holding her tight, I lift a hand to my chest and rub against the pain that's found its way inside of it.