He Can Still Surprise Me

The after-party was so freaking wild, and my body was still humming from all the drinking and dancing I did with Titan, Everleigh, and Blue

It was the most fun I've had in a long time, and except for that one moment when I thought I saw Alek in the crowd at the awards show, he never crossed my mind again.

Now that I'm home, I want to go inside and climb into bed.

As I unlock the door, something colorful catches the corner of my eye, and I turn towards it.

A bouquet sits on the table beside my porch swing, with a white card leaning against the vase.

Titan is still waiting beside the limo to ensure I get in okay, but I wave him off as I slowly step toward the pretty flowers.

My hand trembles as I grab the vase and the card.

"Night," I call out distractedly, heading inside with my gift.

I can't move my eyes from the flowers. There's only one person these would be from, but why are they out there tonight of all nights?

Setting them on the counter, I take a step back as if they're going to reach out and harm me.

And they just might.

My gut swirls with the knowledge that this bouquet and its card will change my understanding of things I was so sure of.

I bring my thumb to my mouth and nibble on the end as I pace in front of the flowers and the card, never raising my eyes from them.

I'm being ridiculous. They're just items. They can't physically harm me.

I stop in front of them and wrap my fingers around the edge of the counter as I try to talk myself into opening the envelope. The position is so similar to when I contemplated the award show's invitations. That one intent on bringing something good into my life, this one...is to be determined.

My mind flips through memories of when Alek brought me flowers throughout our relationship. Besides our anniversaries or birthdays, I realize he always brought me my favorite when I've had an awards ceremony or completed a song.

Except for the last two songs.

Wait...

I got one after Paradox of You released Not Your Just Because on the radio for the first time.

But...how?

Maybe I'm just reading into things because I want to.

After inhaling deeply, I reach out and grab the card.

There's only one way I'll get answers, and it's not running.

I slide my finger under the wax seal and pull the card out.

Alek has some of the nicest masculine handwriting I've ever seen.