Marx François × Reader : Sick

Trigger warnings : None.

Genre: Fluff.

Prompt: Your beloved Wizard King's assistant falls ill due to overwork. Yet, you discover something you are not supposed to find while you are taking care of him.

Word account: 1275.

. . . ☁️ . . .

Working under the Wizard King's office is a dream many pursue. Not only does it bring a lifetime income and the honor of working directly with the, supposedly, strongest person in the kingdom, but also prestige and fame.

However, Marx did not care for any of those things. The only reason he still took the job as the Wizard King's assistant was because he felt that it was the right thing to do.

Surely, his work came with unavoidable hardships; especially, since he was working for someone as carefree as Julius, but it brought him a sense of peace every night he laid his head on his pillow after a long day of running around and chasing after Julius. So, it was a small price to pay.

Despite the noble feeling that washes over his veins for every job he finishes for the day, he still comes face to face with anxiety and constant stress. From organising and supervising every squad activity, to chasing after the Wizard King who seems to be always willing to drop his work at any moment just to stray in the streets.

Amongst all of the hectic days that Marx had to put up with, you came into his life like the light in the darkness. You were actively trying to reduce your lover's stress; you massaged his stiff muscles from the long days of sitting at the desk; you prepared his meals and personally delivered them to him whenever he got too caught up with paperwork.

You always reminded him to stay hydrated and to take breaks. But for how long can you keep an eye on him day and night?

You had limited time to stay with him because he always had to go back to his work during the day, while at night, he would come back home quite exhausted before he passed out almost instantly.

Therefore, it wasn't quite the shocker when you started noticing the dark bags under his eyes, or the pale tone his skin was taking. At first, you attributed such features to stress and lack of sleep; however, they soon developed into dizziness and lack of concentration.

You tried to ask Marx to stop pushing himself hard for the kingdom's sake for a few days to look after himself, but he always offered you his signature soft smile and dismissed your attempts. Soon enough, your worry drove you to take a trip to the office of the Wizard King's assistant where you found Marx engrossed in his paperwork.

"Marx?" His name rolled out your tongue gracefully; it seemed to snap him out of whatever was capturing his upmost attention.

"(Y/n)? What are you doing here?" He asked after that he had offered you a smile. Before you could answer, he dropped his eyes back to stare at the paper he had in front of him and folded it into an envelope. Then, he took a different paper from the stack that awaited on the corner of his desk.

"I came to check on you. Did Julius leave again?" You could swear that a vein popped on his temple at the mention of the blonde man's name.

"As always." Marx answered with an annoyed tone. Then, he sighed softly before a cough rudely forced its way out of his mouth.

"Are you okay?" Worry laced your voice and face as you made your way behind his desk. You didn't leave him the chance to answer as you pressed your palm against the burning skin of his forehead.

"I'm fine. Just a little under the weather." He responded nonetheless.

"It doesn't look like it. You look very exhausted and on the verge of passing out. Your skin is warm and pale... You've overworked yourself again, Marx." You chided him softly as you noted down his symptoms in your mental list.

The man remained silent as his eyes hoovered over the paper in his hand, but it was as clear as day that they were unfocused on its content. You tugged softly on his sleeve in an attempt to pray him away from his spot and into his bed.

"I'm fine, really." He tried to reason with you, but you were far away from giving up. You tugged harder on his sleeve in lieu of listening to him.

Sighing in defeat, Marx mentally admitted to himself that he had overworked before he stood up from his chair with the envelope shoved in his pocket. He allowed you to guide him for he did not trust his blurry vision to lead him.

The sound of footsteps mixed with the hammer that pounded inside his skull, worsened his headache even more. Marx winced and caught his warm head in his hand, which brought you into a halt when you felt the added weight you had to pull. You glanced back with a look of confusion.

Noticing the pinch on his eyebrows, the clench of his jaw, and the way he was holding his head, you quickly put two and two together and decided to wait for him to regain his composer.

"I'm fine." Marx mumbled when he felt his headache subside. The concerned look your face wore only made him feel guilty for worrying you.

You scoffed at his stubbornness and said, "Are you now?" You pointed him down with a stern look, yet a mischievous smirk danced on your lips.

"...No."

"That's more like it." Your smirk softened into a smile before you resumed your travel towards his room at the grand headquarters.

Once you had arrived, you immediately tucked the ill man into his bed. Just as you were about to leave his bedside to fetch for medicine, your name was called by your lover.

"I will go look for medicine for your fever and headache. I promise to be quick." You pressed a chaste kiss into his forehead despite his whines for you to stay. When you left the room regardless of his pleas for you to remain by his side, Marx sighed at the pain that stabbed his head and closed his eyes.

Suddenly, he remembered the envelope he had taken when he left his office with you. He took it out and opened it. He, then, read over its content one more time. A smile grew wider the more his eyes traced the lines of ink and deciphered the elegant words written on it. He opened the drawer next to his bed and got a small, dark blue ring box that he had made sure to keep away from you.

His digits ran through the box's edges as scenarios flooded his mind. Marx decided to focus on the joyful fantasies when he'd hear your affirmative response. He decided that anxiety and stress can wait till another time as he swam in his dreams of you together.

Meanwhile, you ventured towards the infirmary in search for medicine and painkillers. Before you went back to Marx's room, you had made sure to notify Julius about his favorite assistant's deteriorated health.

Opening the door as quietly as possible, you made sure to keep your footsteps silent and brief in order to avoid triggering Marx's headache into a worse state.

However, you didn't have to worry about that because once you had stopped beside your lover's bed, you found his eyes closed as his chest raised and fell in a steady pace. You found him quite adorable to the point it made you blush. Yet, what made your cheeks heat even further was the fact that he fell asleep with a ring box and a paper that read 'The Best Wedding Venues in Clover Kingdom.'

. . . ☁️ . . .

Hey guys!

I hope you're all doing fine! That'll be awesome.

I hope you have enjoyed your time reading this chapter. If you have, please do leave a vote and comment.

Stay safe and lots of love!