Yuno Grinberryall × Reader : A Memory of Warmth and Death

Requested by luna_starwitch. Thank you for requesting!

Genre :  Angst.

Summary : You and Yuno have one shared, last moment before facing the danger that marched towards you.

Word count : 886

TRIGGER WARNING : MAJOR SPOILERS FROM THE MANGA. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WISH TO BE SPOILED AT.

.  .  .  ☁️  .  .  .

When life tempts you of a happy conclusion, it shocks you with an overnight, unexpected twist.

They were everywhere.

He was everywhere.

We could not understand how or why the Wizard King became a perpetrator; whether he was under the spell of an unveiled evil that ran beyond our eyesight, or from his own free will to turn against the kingdom, we knew not.

Asta had been eliminated in the first, early stages of the disaster that followed; thus our hope had been distinguished.

Gratefully, he was not our only hope.

Through the darkness that engulfed and the enemy that pestered, emerged a protector when the original had abandoned the rest.

"Before I met you, I would've indifferently put my life on the line to save the innocents." He had abruptly confessed as the two of us stood on the roof of a building, awaiting the danger that could only bestow misery and death upon the world.

"But you have a vow to fulfill; a rival to beat." I had reminded him. He let a huffing breath through his nostrils as the corner of his lips stretched upwards.

"If I hesitate, I would lose to him, for he wouldn't think twice to lay his life for the sake of others."

"And that exact will of sacrifice is what a wizard king requires." I added, and he confirmed with a nod, "what has changed then?"

His eyes narrowed in a surfacing warmth; a sight I took full advantage to savour in my memory, in case I needed it in my last breaths.

"Now I have someone who awaits my return at every passing moment of my absence, even if it was from the grocery store." His eyes lingered on mine, and his orbs shone with the deepest affection and earnest love.

And when his finger brushed the back of my hand, an explosion of electrifying waves and shivers circulated through my every bone and nerve.

The peasant with a golden gift; The spirit's chosen one; the fairy that swung and danced with the wind.

Yuno stood his ground and shouted a promise to Lucius and us to defeat the former.

Amidst his Neverland reinforcement, I felt mana flood my veins and power bolster my spells; confidence and determination embraced my spirits, thus with one scream, I bolted towards the enemy.

Too consumed in my new found sense of power, I failed to notice that the rest of the magic knights within Yuno's Neverland had also jumped on a reckless attempt to repel the fake angels.

Screams filled the once quiet atmosphere and battle unleashed its wrath upon all participants.

The spell could only decrease casualties on our side so little.

Thanks to my empowered spells, I managed to defeat some of the paladins that plagued the sky.

However, in the briefest intake of breath, an ominous presence hoovered behind me as it adressed another person a small distance from us, "If I'm not mistaken, you hold a deep passion for this mortal."

It was not the endless, stained mana that radiated promises of death and fake judgment that rendered me paralysed in terror, but the words spoken by the man could only apply to one, specific individual.

"Come join my forces, (Y/n), for that mortal is only a devil in disguise. You will all be cleansed for the world of joy and peace that you thrive for." Lucius's too stretched smile shot more waves of unease and alert through my entire being; yet, I refused to succumb to his temptations or the immobilising horror.

Therefore, with an unwavering ground, I denounced, "I would rather be a devil than become a corrupted angel with a fake sense of judgement."

My body might have been shaking in frozen fear, but I did not let the cold extinguish the determination that ignited from a flicker into a fire. The scowl on my face sharpened and my teeth bared at the villain as a predator to its prey.

The action took Lucius by surprise, which was the reason for the disappearance of his poker smile; widened eyes and agaped lips were his wordless response.

Yet alarmingly so, his former, too permanent look resurfaced to reclaim its hegemony over his face once more.

"So you shall face your punishment for defying my perfect world." Without the chance to even process his words, I was spun around and caged in his tight grip on my shoulder as his index pointed at my temple.

A few feet below, I could spot a stunned Yuno coated in a green spell; his eyes wide and his lips parted in a gasp.

"As for you, Yuno." Even though my back was against his front, I could practically sense the growing smile that pulled Lucius's face further. Yuno's lips, on the other hand, had finally regained some sense of control as they shrank to form a soundless, "no."

"Consider my punishment lenient for not killing you instantly." It seemed as though Yuno had finally regained full control as his scream for Lucius to stop was the only sound I heard before darkness began to fold my soul in its relentless claws.

And the memory of Yuno's squinted eyes that offered only love and passion flashed through my eyes and embraced me like an old, long missing friend.

.  .  .  ☁️  .  .  .

Hey guys!

I hope you're all doing well! Thank you for requesting again!

If you have enjoyed your time reading this request, please do consider leaving a vote and a comment, I would very much appreciate it.

Stay safe and lots of love!