Chapter 3: Greenhouse

After they arrived at the Institute, Viviana was asked by Victor Altertree to stay inside his office while he dealt with the consequences of the demon attack. She had accepted, fully intending to wait as to not cause any inconveniences. During her short time there, she looked over the furniture, which was somewhat different from what she remembered. The style, of course, as Viviana had never been to this Institute before. She also pulled out a book or two from the shelves. However, once the clock in his office turned to 20 minutes, she was unable to stop herself. Succeeding the many decades she had been fixed to a bed, having to stay still just didn't feel right. Not when she finally had the ability to move and walk once more.

Leaving the office, she wondered the halls, turning left and right whenever she felt like it. It seemed that everyone was far too consumed with their own assignments and worries to notice the oddly dressed stranger. She kept going unnoticed until reaching a specific area. 

Her lower lip parted from her top one, and a short exhale left through the opening. With wide eyes, she wondered her gaze and took a deep breath. An explosion of scents that filled the air entered her nose. As she exposed her pearly white teeth to the sight before her, a small squeal echoed through the greenhouse. And so, she strode to the plants all around, touching one whenever she felt too drawn to it, and pressing her nose to colourful petals. Looking up, she saw a collection of windows decorating the dome-shaped ceiling. "Wow... Marvellous." Although she had seen a few greenhouses over a century ago, none were as beautiful as the one she was standing on.

She'd notice that some of the vegetation in the room seemed familiar, reminding her of the one time she visited Idris as a child, specifically Alicante, its only city. It had only been for a few weeks, but even then, she had adored the place. As she went on to smell another flower, a voice made her jump. "There you are."

Turning around, she took notice of who the man speaking was. It was Victor Aldertree. The very man that had instructed her to stay put. "Apologies, sir. I seem to have gone back on my word. I hope to not have caused much trouble." Sure, she may not have made any promises, but Viviana had verbally agreed to do as he commanded. And she was no stranger to the chain of command in the Clave. 

But he shook his head, not making a fuss about the incident. "No. It's alright. I understand it wasn't quite fair to you to make you wait behind closed doors. Not with your history." Then he gestured to a bench near them. "Please, have a seat."

She nodded, and walked to the bench, before bringing her gloved hands to the back of her skirt. She smoothened out as she sat down, to void wrinkles in the fabric. Then, Victor sat beside her, leaving some space between them. Viviana noticed an object she couldn't identify in his hand. It was straight, with a glass like surface on the top, and smooth white metal on the bottom. Deciding not to mention it just yet, Viviana asked him about other things. "Were any casualties to this demon attack?"

"One dead, and a few injured, who are in the infirmary. But, don't worry, the demon was killed. The Institute is safe again."

"My worries are not for my safety, sir. I heard when we got here that the demon was slayed. Its those that were left behind by those that perished that bring be heartache."

He immediately understood what she was referring to. "The woman, Jocelyn Fairchild, was survived by her daughter, Clary. She is with her friends now."

Bobbling her head, Viviana seemed somewhat relieved to hear that. "That is good to hear, I suppose... She is Valentine's daughter, is she not?"

"Yes. He was the man that stole the Soul Sword, back in the City of Bones."

Looking up into nothingness, Viviana thought back to the events that took place shortly after her awakening. "I see. The Silent Brothers had told me about him, and this... Circle. Odd name for a cult. Back in my day, people were more original with sect naming."