Chapter 4: Contraptions

It was the next day, and new horrors awaited for her. She held a bra from one end, letting its length to extend into the air, as her head titled to the side. Her hands traced the hooks on the end of the band, then to the cups, the wires, and the straps. Now she realized what Victor had meant the previous day. 

But that wasn't all. While Viviana was told that she would soon be getting a full wardrobe, the outfit she was given left a lot to be desired for. Admittedly, she was excited to wear pants for the first time in her life. Apparently, it was genuinely okay for women to walk around with those. 

Her new attire consisted of a black leather jacket, a red t-shirt, high-waisted black jeans, and a pair of black high heeled ankle boots. She had previously gotten a pair of jeans that had holes where her knees would reside, and refused to wear them. If she was going to have to wear such tight clothing, with little fabric, and all dark tones for that manner, they would at least not be broken. The lady had tried to convince her it was in fashion, but Viviana refused to believe her. And this was after having rejected the dress. It didn't even cover the lower mid thigh. Surely she couldn't dress like that. Did people clothed in such manner? The idea made her head spin. 

Nevertheless, this was all she could wear at the moment. She would have to go to a boutique later when there was time. Besides, the invention of the zippers in her clothes were quite advantageous. And oddly enough, she was told to loose the gloves, as they were no longer necessary. Being without them, however, made her feel rather nude and uncertain. 

Now that she got attired with these modern clothes, and began to think of the other contraptions she had come across. The shower wasn't a completely new concept to her, but even then, Viviana had to admit, feeling the warm water rain down on her was marvellous. She noted showers no longer had railings all around, assimilating the cubicle of hydraulic hygiene to a bird cage. And then there was the gadget called a hair dryer. It blew air into her face; air as hot as the sun itself. Her hair had now gone puffy, but thanks to some hair ties and hair clips given to her, Viviana was able to style it into tight, Dutch milkmaid braids. 

With the clean clothes, and braided crown over her head, Viviana got the courage to venture into the Institute once more. She walked carelessly through each hall once more, twirling around every once in a while to get a good look at the place. As she turned left on one hall, her body collided with another. She managed to catch the hand of the other individual, quickly pulling towards her. Fortunately, her goal was achieved, and this other woman did not fall. "Apologies miss. I did not mean to collide against you."

The girl's eyes widened as she realized who she was speaking to. Although she had never gotten to see her in person, paintings and pictures were present in history books. "By the angel- you're Viviana Oleastro! This is so exciting!"

The woman blinked at the loud tone of the raven haired girl in front of her, but chose to ignore the behaviour. "Well, I seem to be at a disadvantage. I'm afraid I do not recognize you as you do me."

"Oh, sorry." She extended her hand, which Viviana took. But, to the surprise of the older woman, it was shaken vigurously. "My name's Izzy- Isabelle Lightwood. Its an honour."

Viviana took back her hand, furrowing her eyebrows at the unusual form of greeting. Sure, she had seen others shake hands, but that was usually reserved for men, in her experience. "Lightwood you say? I knew your ancestors." Her eyes then trailed over Izzy's face before nodding. "Yes, I can see it. Oh- its an honour to meet you as well." Then her eyes fell on the young woman's attire, and her eyes widened. She wore a little, black dress, with uncovered shoulders, and symmetric circular holes with metallic rings going down her sides.  And before she could stop herself, Viviana made a comment about it. "If I may ask, is that truly acceptable to wear on these modern times? No men calls you a fallen woman?"