Chapter 10: Gentleman

N/A: I hope you guys like this cute chapter. I know I adored writing it. Enjoy!

Soon enough, they made it back to the Institute. The duo had smiled, laughed and never let go of each other's hand as they travelled back to their home. Alec was now walking her back to her room, and they finally halted their feet once inside. 

"Although the world has changed so much, I must admit, it was nice to have a night stroll through the city. Personally, I love seeing so much colour. But, no horses and carriages. Those cars seemed like disasters about to happen."

"Oh, trust me. I hear there are a lot of accidents with those things." Alec replied, remembering the times they almost crashed in Simon's van just to travel to the Silent City. Walking on foot felt much safer, or using portals. 

"You've ridden in them before?"

He nodded with a chuckle. "Once. I don't recommend it."

"Very well. I guess I'll have to trust you." Viviana stated, before realizing she was still holding his hand. Somewhat awkwardly, she regrettably let go, and ran that hand through her hair. Instantly, she was missing his touch. Their hands had fit together so well, like they were designed out of the same jigsaw puzzle. "You barely said anything in the past twenty minutes, towards the end of the stroll. Is everything alright?"

Shifting his weight from one foot to another, Alec didn't know what to say. He had been doing some thinking right before they got to the Institute. He had some questions, those answers she had. And he couldn't contain himself from making them. "Viv, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," The words left her mouth faster than her mind could process them. Realizing how desperate she must have sounded, Viviana decided to say something else, to save herself from further embarrassment. "I mean, of course. What is it?"

He took in a deep breath in, and exhaled through his mouth. The air clashed against Viviana's face, making her tense up slightly. Her hands were getting clammy, waiting in anticipation for his inquiry. "Earlier, at the bar- you said I deserve to be with someone I want. Did you honestly mean that?"

With every breath, her heart beat started speeding up faster and faster. At that moment, she no longer felt nervousness, but worry. Did he want someone else? Was she stuck giving love advice about another woman to a Lightwood once more? Truly, her luck was disastrous. "Absolutely."

Alec then took a step closer to her, with his eyes trained on hers. Despite what he was hearing, he too had doubts. And his soft voice reflected that. As if speaking too loud would make her change her mind about him. "Even if its someone who deserves to find a man better than me?"

"There you go again, being too harsh on yourself." Viviana narrowed her eyes up at him in a scolding manner. "Who could you possibly believe deserves better than you?"

"You."

Right then and there, Viviana was sure her heart had stopped and jumped out of her chest. It was now running around the room, putting its veins for hands over it's invisible head. The caricature in her mind should have been humorous. However, all she felt was incredibly nervous, and shook by his revelation. "W-What?"

Shallowing, Alec ran a shaky hand through his hair. This wasn't an easy conversation to have. However, he had ran it through his mind likely a thousand times. If he did it again, without speaking it out loud, he was sure he'd go insane. "I know you've only just got your freedom. And that we barely know each other. I'm sure you don't want to get involved with anyone just now, and certainly not me. I-I don't how courting was done at your time, and you have yet to adapt to the current social culture. We're from totally different worlds. Different centuries for that matter. And maybe we're too different. B-But, I c-can't deny that everything you described earlier, is how I feel about you. I really like you."