Chapter 9: Hand-In-Hand

"So, other than Lydia, whom was a marriage of convenience, you never courted anyone?"

"No." He had responded several seconds ago, and the pair had fallen in silence. They were sitting at the bar, both having ordered two other beers as they conversation continued. But it had been halted by the tension between them. "You're weirded out."

She had no reason to be. It wasn't like they were on a date. Alec didn't need to explain himself to her, yet Viv couldn't help it. That information had stuck with her. Did she like it? Did she hate it? She just didn't know how she was supposed to feel. But after having described what love was like, Viv knew something. There was a growing infatuation for Alec, despite how inopportune that was. He was the descendant of her first crush, and she had admitted that to him. Any pursue with him would be inappropriate, right? "Mmm. Who says I'm weirded out? Why should I?"

But he did feel the need to explain. He didn't want to mess up, for he too was feeling things for the Spanish Shadowhunter. "You wanna know why I haven't been in a relationship? What is wrong with me, right?"

Shaking her head, Viviana decided to stop him right then and there. One of her hands went to his, and she squeezed it softly. "Why would you think there's something wrong with you? If you haven't found someone that you connect with yet, that is not a sign of a problem within yourself."

He turned his gaze to the ceiling, and let out a long breath. His hand instinctively twitched under her hold, reciprocating that tender sign of support. Every inch where their skin met felt tingly, like bliss. For a second, he was left wondering how he could go about his day without her touch. "I grew up in the Institute. I'm the eldest in my family. And I just- I always felt like my destiny was for me to never get what I wanted."

"And what could you have possibly done to deserve that fate, exactly?"

"I-I don't know."

"That is because that fate isn't yours. You do deserve happiness, and love." She replied with a small smile, trying to show him how wrong he was. "Perhaps, the true reason you haven't connected with anyone is because your beliefs prevented you to. You've been too harsh on yourself all along. But, that's changed, hasn't it? When you had the courage to call of the wedding?"

Alec nodded slowly, thinking her words over. Yes, that day, after all the persistence form his friends and family (except for his parents, of course), Alec had realized he deserved better than a marriage of convenience. And so did Lydia. "Yes. You're right."

"Well, I do have a century and a half worth of wisdom in me." She flipped her hair dramatically and teasingly, as she removed her hand from Alec's. Almost immediately, her hand grew cold, as if trying to tell her that she had to put it back where it belonged. In his own. But she ignored those signs.

"It's still astonishing to me that a Shadowhunter your age can still be alive, looking so young." He couldn't help but comment. Although, not a second later, he regretted it. "I mean, the Silent Brothers and the Iron Sisters can do that too, but, you know. Not the way you do."

Fortunately, she didn't think to consider any offense on his statement. Instead, she smiled up at him with a radiant smile that sped up his heart. "In all fairness, I am one of the most gorgeous Shadowhunters my age. Other than them-" Viv recognized the individuals previous mentioned. "-everyone else is a pile of bones and dust, so, there's not really that much competition."

Alec shook his head before staring right into her eyes. "Who said the Silent Brothers and the Iron Sisters are worthy competition anyways? They don't compare to you." In response, Viv looked down ever so slightly, trying to contain her blush. That was when Alec reached his hand, and got a hold of her chin, raising it so that her eyes would meet his as well. "Don't look away. You are beautiful."