Chapter 6: Toledo Steel

Later in the day, Viviana kept on trying to learn more about the new century, and the area. A kind Shadowhunter had taught her how to use a tablet, and its purpose. She wouldn't say she had mastered the device, but she got it to work, somehow. The how was a mystery to her, but Viviana had heard someone say something about technology- if it works, its doesn't matter the how. Just leave it as is and hope nothing changes. At the time, Viviana didn't understand that, but now she did. 

Right now, she was looking through files. Since 'everything was digitalized now', she would look into the lives that her now deceased friends lead while she was cursed. She also ventured into looking at things Valentine related to get a better understanding of the situation.

It was then that Jace and Izzy approached her, both with her eyes darting around. "Hey, Viviana, have you by any chance seen Clary around? I can't find her anywhere."

"Valentine's daughter?" She questioned him back, earning herself a nod. "We haven't been introduced. I'm not sure what she looks like."

"Ah, okay." Jace nodded and snatched the tablet off her hands without warning. After tapping away on it, he showed Viviana Clary's file, which contained a picture. 

The first thing that passed through her mind was that the Fairchilds had remained redheads. But then, seeing their worry, Viviana tried to calm them down. "Yes, I've seen her. I believe she left with Alexander, nearly half an hour ago, I'd say."

"Shit. That warlock..." 

Refraining herself from making a comment about his profanity use, Viviana stood up from her spot, and looked between the two of them. Clearly her revelation of the Fairchild's company hadn't eased their anxiety, which only made her think something had to be very wrong. "What is it? What about a warlock?"

"Jace thinks Clary went to a warlock, to get her mother resurrected."

"Dark magic? That is a tremendously dangerous idea."

"I agree." Jace stated before turning to his adoptive sister. "We've got to get there before something terrible happens."

At that moment, Viviana decided she couldn't stay with her arms crossed. "I'm coming with you two." Seeing the blonde about to protest, she rose her hand to stop him. "I have battled warlocks before. Besides, there's safety in numbers, is there not?"

Izzy backed up the older Shadowhunter immediately. "She's right. And we don't have time to argue."

Having seen the woman's fighting skills with his own eyes, Jace decided to allow it. Aldertree likely wouldn't be happy, but now all that mattered to him was Clary... And Alec too, of course. "Alright. But we've got to go now. Grab your sword."

----------------------------

Eventually, the trio made it to Iris Rouse's house, a warlock and doctor whom had a history of practicing necromancy. 

"You take upstairs. I'll take the lower levels." Jace commanded before disappearing off view through the stairs. 

So, turning to Isabelle, Viviana nodded at the other stairs herself. "I'll start going up."

"I'll look at this level before joining you." The Lightwood stated back.

And now that each of them had their own assignments, they all went their separate ways. Perhaps not completely smart, in the mind of safety. However, the strategy had been mainly chosen to reach their fellow Shadowhunter friends speedily. 

So, Viviana went upstairs, and soon enough she came across a young warlock girl. Knowing that not only this wasn't Iris, but that she could help, Viviana kneeled in front of her. "Hello there, little missy. My name is Viviana Oleastro. What's your name?" But the young girl didn't answer. Vivian a made sure to keep her smile and soft tone to try to persuade the likely innocent girl to help her out. "Now that is a warlock mark I've never seen before. Gills? They look so awesome." Still, no response came, other than a small smile. Well, that was progress. "Okay, listen. I have a friend, and... another friend that are here. They need my help, I think. One is a very tall, raven haired Shadowhunter, with runes like me-" She gestured to the few she had redrawn on her skin since breaking the curse, as the others had faded away with time. "And a redhaired girl, about my height, I'd say. Have you seen either of them? I just want to take them back home." The little girl nodded and took Viviana's hand, before guiding her further upstairs. "Thank you so much."

They passed by a room of crying children, but since that didn't seem like their final destination, and there were more pressing matters at hand, Viviana decided to check that out later. Fortunately, it would seem that the little girl would guide her to Alec soon enough. The bad news? Well, Iris Rouse had found him too. In fact, she was using her magic to push him against the ceiling above them. "Nana! Nana, no."

"Oh, hi, honeybun. Why don't you go back inside? And don't worry, I'm just playing with the man." The warlock woman replied before seeing Viviana. "You better step away from my goddaughter."

"I mean no harm to her. She's done nothing wrong." Viviana replied before unleashing her sword. "But I can assure you, if you don't leave Alexander on the ground, gently, I won't do you the same courtesy." Nearly instantly, Iris threw a blast of magic her way. Viviana would react by doing a backflip to avoid the blow, but landed on the stairs, nearly loosing her balance in the process. Additionally, she was now further away from the little girl, which gave Iris the time to grab her. "Put the girl down."

She refused the command, as she clutched her goddaughter to her chest. "Her name's Madzie, and she's better off with me than left to fend for herself in this cruel world." Then, Iris opened up a portal with a flick of her wrist, and made one last statement. "You can save the redhead, but she still owes me the favor." And with that, she left with Madzie through the portal. 

"Viviana" Alec replied weakly from her place on the ground. After all, not only had he been flailed around with magic, but lastly he was dropped from the ceiling. 

So, she rushed to his side and kneeled beside him. "Are you alright? Do you have any serious injuries or just out of breath?"

As she helped him stand up, Alec shook his head, not at all worried for him. Someone else was in his mind. "We have to find Clary."

"Isabelle and Jace are here too. Don't worry, we'll find her." She replied, earning herself a groan from the male. Without a second thought, almost as if it was natural to her, she rose his t-shirt for the second time that day and traced his iratze rune with her stele. His visible bruises seemed to disappear quickly after that. "Is that better?"

He nodded quickly and looked around for any other threats. "By bow's downstairs." Once more, Viviana found herself doing yet another unusual thing. She extended her hand holding her Iberian Falcata sword towards him, and nodded at it. "You sure? What will you use?" At that moment, she pulled out another weapon. Her old navaja. "No, I can't just leave you with a pocket knife."

Viviana swung it into the air, and allowed it to fall back onto her hand. Unlike her Falcata, it was not made out of adamas. It was made of good old Toledo steel. "This ain't just a knife in my hands. Now, lets go. We're loosing time."

Reluctantly, he nodded, and they began their search further up the stairs to find Clary. However, they would find themselves unable to catch a glimpse of the redhead, and go back down. On their way, they met with Izzy, who accompanied them to the lower levels. 

N/A: How are you guys liking this story so far? Got any expectations, criticisms, or things you particularly love? Let me know. All I'm seeing are views and stars- not that I'm complaining :)