Chapter 8: Lovers of Time Past

Some time had passed since they began playing the game of pool. At the moment they decided to finally quit, they had been at it for eight rounds- it was a tie. They decided to leave it as such, and get a rematch some other time. Now, Alec placed a coin into what he called a jukebox, and the music that was emitted from it was quite different to what Viv was accustomed to. It was rather... upbeat, she'd describe. It made her want to dance, but somehow she felt as if her type of dancing would not be appropriate for this song. 

"I suppose we both have a healthy dose of the competitive spirit." Viv chuckled, tucking a loose stand of her hair behind her ear. She couldn't stop grinning, thankful for the most fun she had had in more than a hundred years. 

"I grew up with Jace." He shrugged with a smile of his own. "Didn't have much of a choice."

Nodding, Viviana expressed how thankful she was of his attitude on the subject. "Some people can't be around that energy. Or they're just- what's the expression? Hurt losers?"

"Sore losers." He corrected softly, understanding what she meant. 

"Yeah. Many of those in my day. But I find it invigorating to find someone competitive. I don't know, it just makes me feel alive." Her hands stretched out to the sides, as if taking in the wonders of this moment with him. 

That made Alec instantly think of his ancestors. After all, she had mentioned having known them. "And, umm, my ancestors- you said you knew Gideon, right? Was he like us? Competitive? Any good at the game of pool?"

"Gideon... I could never get him to agree to play. It was frustrating. But I do believe he was, somewhat competitive. At least when we sparred."

"You guys sparred?"

She hummed in response. "Yes. Actually, he taught me most of what I know about handling a sword. Before he visited my Institute, I tried teaching myself when no one was watching. Unfortunately, my efforts weren't very successful." Viv looked away, scratching the back of her neck as she tried to hide her rosy cheeks. That was yet something she was unsuccessful with, given that all Alec had to do was angle his head a little to the left, to see it clearly. He thought it was cute. "He was an excellent teacher. As for Gabriel- his older brother, I only met him briefly in the London Institute. I could not tell you much about him."

"Well, according to Jace and Izzy, you're pretty good. Also, what little I got to see in Iris' house seemed great." Alec complimented, soon blushing too at his own actions. "W-What was he like, Gideon? I mean, he taught you how to fight with a sword, when society told you no 'cause you were a woman. So, I assume he had to be a good man, right?"

Tilting her head from side to side, she tried to contain herself. "Sure..."

"He wasn't?"

"No, no. He was. I just didn't think so when we first met."

Now he was very curious. "Why not? What did he do?"

"Well," She started out slowly, explaining his family history. Viviana was certain he was clueless to most of it. "His father, Benedict, raised him to be rather... pompous."

Alec snorted at the insults thrown at his ancestors. That description seemed so foreign to him in regards to his family. Well, maybe his parents could be a little like that. "So what, Gideon was arrogant?"

"He thought all Shadowhunters were like that- until he came to my Institute. He got thrown a lot of shade for it, and nobody liked him. I had to put him in his place a few times. But then he dropped the mask."

He nodded in understanding, quickly drawing his own conclusions. "And that's when you met the real Gideon then."

"Precisely," Viviana confirmed his thoughts. "He was... Shockingly the total opposite of what he had potrayed."