Chapter 14: Roof Jumping

Warning: Mentions of a suicide attempt.

As Spanish music played around Magnus' apartment, a lot of people were around, mingling. There were serves walking by with drinks, and in the middle of the main room, an ice sculpture of an angelic rune on display. Viviana had to admit that Magnus had been a lot of help with the preparations, but she still couldn't help but feel nervous. "I'm worried the empañadillas are soggy." She had been complaining to Alec about her worries for a while now. "I gave the chef specific directions, my mother's old recipe- which I guess makes it very, very old–"

He rose his hands in the air and shook them, trying to get her to settle down. "Viv, everything is perfect." As in on queue, his younger brother, and his mother walked towards them. "Max! Mother." 

Viviana's anxiousness had enlarged beyond belief at the moment she met eyes with the Lightwood matriarch. Unable to form any words, as she feared messing up further, all she did was send her a friendly nod. In return, Maryse handed her a bottle of wine. "I hear you like wine."

She tried to smile, unsure how to take it. "Welcome, Maryse." Taking the bottle, she then turned to the young Lightwood. "Max, this is your night."

"You do have exotic taste, don't you?"

Deducing what she was hinting at, Viviana was quick to explain. "Oh, the Spanish theme is in honor of you and your husband."

That greatly confused Maryse. She furrowed her eyebrows, hoping to get an explanation. "Really? How so?

"Alec told me that Robert proposed to you in Barcelona. I wanted to celebrate a joyous memory. Especially since he couldn't be here. And since I grew up in Spain, I thought I could make it authentic enough. Granted my experience in my homeland may be a little more... old school."

"How sweet that Alec feels comfortable sharing our personal family stories with you." A somewhat strained smile appeared over her lips as she replied to Viviana. "Especially considering your... disparate backgrounds."

Her hand shook slightly, as Viviana came to the conclusion that Maryse truly did not like her. Whether her tremor was a cause of worry, or anger, she wasn't quite sure. Perhaps a mixture of both, for Viviana could not comprehend what her problem was. They barely knew each other, yet she was being judged for reasons beyond her control. So, she tried to politely find an excuse to leave. "How about a drink? Sangria for the lady, a Roy Rogers for the guest of honor." Before Alec could say anything, she went off to get the drinks. 

"Omf." Clary bumped into her body as Viviana tried to get to the kitchen. 

Seeing the girl looked as upset as Viviana felt herself, the Spanish Shadowhunter questioned the reason. Maybe she could do some good, and make this night less of a disaster. "Hey, what's going on, Clary?"

"It's Simon." She teared up almost instantly. "He poured his heart out about wanting to be with me, and then, then he hooks up with Maia."

"That, sounds unusual." Certainly not the kind of betrayal she was used to hearing about. But then again, she had heard that in the current century weren't as fond in keeping their word, in being honest, and honourable. Although, Viviana also admitted that the little she knew of the vampire, both from experience and through Isabelle, that this description of the man seemed off. "Its possible there might be a misunderstanding or confusion. Are you sure you haven't had too much sangria? It's strong. Magnus made sure of it."

"Please. I just need to leave."

Viviana shook her head as she grabbed Clary by the shoulders. Her lips were pursed, thinking over what to say next. Since there was a chance of no misunderstandings, she decided to be more open minded on the possibility. "Hey, don't. We'll figure out what's going on with Simon. But tonight's about Max. And Alec and Izzy. Are you certain that you want to leave, rather than support your friends? Whatever you choose, just be sure of it." That made the redhead nod and walk back to the party. Viviana sighed, and returned to her quest for drinks. It then occurred to her that Isabelle was nowhere to be seen.