Chapter 12: You Fancy a Shadowhunter?

Sometime later, she and Alec separated. While he was trying to look for clues about Cleophas, Viviana had decided to try to study the present times a little more. This was after they both went on a mission in Grand Central, defeating a horde of Shax demons together. During her search for answers to accommodate to this century's customs, speech, and traditions, she found the internet and the Shadowhunter databases quite helpful. Granted, sometimes Viviana considered it a little hard to operate these 'tablets' or 'screens'. But she was getting the hang of it. 

Right now, she was walking into the Ops Centre, when she saw Isabelle once more. The young Lightwood was looking at a holographic map of the city. Viviana approached her with a small smile. She hoped their discussion from that morning wasn't still going to make things awkward between them. "Hello, Isabelle."

She glanced up momentarily and nodded back at her. "Hi. Did you need something?" Clearly, their relationship was still affected by their fight.

"I wanted to apologize for this morning." And this seemed like the best way to fix things. "While I only intended to help, it seems I did something to offend you. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure of what. Likely cultural shock on my part. Either way, I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me.

Now, that made Izzy feel kind of guilty. She knew Viviana meant well, and was a cordial person. But that still didn't change the facts. The older Spanish Shadowhunter woman was, possibly, getting too close to her secret. So, in order to avoid her wandering eyes, Isabelle decided to 'forgive her'. "Its alright. I know you mean well. Just- it seemed like you were insinuating something. That's all."

She furrowed her eyebrows and looked down in thought. "I'm not sure what that could have been. My only concern was for your health. Its perfectly normal to require time to recover from a demon injury.- Ah, I see it now. I implied weakness. Is it really seemed so bad to be ill nowadays? Does it affect people's perception of your capabilities?"

Hoping a positive answer would get her off her back, Isabelle gave a plausible response. "Sometimes. It's shitty, 'cause just one little injury or disease can make others put you off duty for so long- longer than necessary."

"And for women, who have worked so hard to be seen as equal, this is worse, no?" Viviana finished for her, feeling like she now understood. Receiving a nod from Isabelle was enough to close the deal. "I truly did not mean that. If you say you're fine, I believe you. But, likewise, if you ever are not fine, you can also tell me. I'll help and keep the secret."

"I appreciate that. And I'll take you up on that if I ever need to."

That made Viviana smile so widely, as for in her mind, she now had fixed things with Isabelle, a friend, whom also happened to be Alec's sister. "I'm so glad to hear that. What are you working on, by the way? If I may ask."

"You may." Izzy was more than thankful to be changing the subject. Unfortunately, this wasn't the best one. Maybe a brief answer or two would allow her to change it again to something else. "It's just a special assignment Aldertree has me on. I'm checking out some rogue vamp dens."

"Is it for those establishments were humans allow themselves to be bitten in exchange of the feeling they get from the venom? I quite never liked them."

She nodded slightly, before taking something into consideration. "Well, there weren't blood bags back in your time. Vampires had to eat somehow."

"Yes. Although that may be true, vampire venom is incredibly addictive. In fact, I remember, back in the day, some Children of the Night sold it as a drug- yin fen, I believe its called. A simple taste and you're, ummm, 'hooked'? Is that the word?"