Chapter 11: Four Leaf Clover

Viv had the best sleep she had in centuries. Although it had terrified her to sleep and wake up to find everything had been a dream, just like in her first morning at the Institute, she woke up, still curse free. But the night itself had been nice, as she still felt glee about her previous day with Alec. 

Speaking of the Lightwoods, she had noticed something was off with Isabelle. She was looking  a bit pale, and her eyes were rather dilated. When confronting her about this, worried if the demon injury was still persisting, Izzy just snapped, stating that she was fine and none of this was her business. It made Viviana worry slightly, and even voiced out her concerns to Alec. 

Yet another unusual thing of the day was Clary, whom appeared to have sensitive hearing, or something. Viviana couldn't figure that out latter, but she wasn't too worried for the redhead. 

Right now, she was back at the Institute, at the greenhouse, after trying out a sushi place for lunch this time around. They were now commenting on the names of the dishes they had tried out. " I mean, how would they feel?"

Viv laughed slightly at that. "Well, I'm glad you didn't ask in front of the chef. But I imagine not too well."

"Right." He cheerfully pointed out, grateful she felt the same way. Why they were so immersed in the topic, neither of them knew. "I mean, why do they call it fatty tuna? That's a little degrading."

"True. However, there aren't any good alternatives. What else could they call it? Obese tuna?" She shook her head with a smile. "But that was my first time eating sushi, and it was quite nice, actually, regardless of dish naming. Personally, I most enjoyed the company-" Viv grinned up at him, slightly flirtatious. "And the food was, ummm- delish?"

Alec nodded at her use of more modern terms. Then he pulled out something from his pocket. "I got you something."

"Me?"

He chuckled at her surprise. "Yes, you." Then he handed over a small box. "Open it."

"When did you have time to get this?" It was a valid question, as from what she recalled, they had been side by side all day long since they first left the Institute.

"When you were focused on the flower stand." He quickly dismissed with a wave of his hand. It made him chuckle at that memory, as she had been giving advice to the flower stand person about flower combinations and teaching her about the language of flowers. "Now open it."

"Okay, okay." So, she agreed to do as told, and inspected the rectangular box. It didn't open all the way, as it had a small hinge, much to her surprise. And then, seeing the contents inside, she came across a simple, but beautiful necklace. It was a bronze clover hanging from a thin chain of the same colour. Each leaf was shaped similarly to a heart, which made her own heart flutter. "Oh, wow."

As soon her response echoed through the greenhouse, Alec explained his choice of a gift. "Four-leaf clovers symbolize luck."

But she knew it was more than that. "Also faith." And love, not that she had the courage to say it out loud. "But, I didn't get you anything."

"I didn't get you this to get something back. Now, turn around. I'm gonna put it on you." He made a twirling motion with his finger, and waited for her to turn around. Since her hair was already up in a crown braid (as per usual), there was no need to push any way. He had clear access to her neck, and carefully placed the necklace around it. As his fingers brushed against her skin, every contact sent an electrifying feeling straight to his heart. While it made him feel nervous, but also giddy, somehow. Once he closed the chain's clasp, he pressed a soft, tender kiss on her ear, and moved back.